VMware Cloud Community
Rozbeh85
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Operations Manager Risk and Efficiency badges have no values.

Hi,

I've deployed VMware-vcops-5.8.1.0-1637685-vapp.ova in our lab environment. Still after 48 hours, Risk and Efficiency are all showing up ‘Unknown’, ‘No Data’.

Restarted vCOPs but didn’t fix the issue.

Anyone got any idea how long it should take before I start getting some stats on it.

Many thanks for your assistance

19 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you modified any of the configuration policies after the installation? Specifically anything related to capacity planning, stress, oversized VMs, etc. A known issue is that you can inadvertently disable the risk and efficiency calculations if you 'disable' aspects of the configuration policy relating to capacity planning or modify them in a certain way.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
Rozbeh85
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't change/modify anything.

I just deployed Vapp, I see world, datacenter, clusters, hosts and VMs, plus health result but no data on risk and efficiency.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When you go in to vCenter, are you ale to see the storage view tabs? Is the Storage Profile service running in vCenter? This can prevent vC Ops from getting the 'disk space' statistics from vCenter and can cause incomplete calcuations of risk/efficiency (and subsequently appear grey, as not all values exist to calculate).

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
Rozbeh85
Contributor
Contributor

Yes,

I could see storage view tab in vCenter and service is running

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do me a favor.. browse to a Datastore resource. Then see if you can view the metrics "Disk Space > Snapshot Space". Let me know if you get a number OR you get no-data OR you don't even see this metric to be graphed.

Thanks

Rozbeh85
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for your response.

I confused, I should look at in vCenter or vsphere UI?

And where should I look at?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vSphere UI. Browse to a "Datastore" resource. These can be found from the Datastores tab on the left pane of the vSphere UI. I'll throw up a screenshot a little later if you can't locate it, as I don't have access right now.

Rozbeh85
Contributor
Contributor

Found it.

I get "No-Data"

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Look at it in a 30-day calendar view, then tell me..

Rozbeh85
Contributor
Contributor

Last 30 days, "No Data"

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If the disk space metrics aren't coming in, risk and efficiency won't calculate.

Step 1. check the vC Ops collector account that is polling vCenter and ensure it has the perms it requires. Specifically, Storage Views > View, at the root of vCenter propagating.

Step 2. If that account DOES already have the privileges in step 1, bounce the SMS service in vCenter.

Rozbeh85
Contributor
Contributor

Would you please take screen shot from:

Step 1. check the vC Ops collector account that is polling vCenter and ensure it has the perms it requires. Specifically, Storage Views > View, at the root of vCenter propagating.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't have a 5.8 environment handy right now, see the rel notes on the privileges required: VMware vCenter Operations Manager 5.8.1

Rozbeh85
Contributor
Contributor

Step1: In vCenter Operations Manager Administrationv --> vCenter Server Registration --> Update : test connection for both user and it was successful.

Step 2: I checked vCenter and green light on VMware vCenter Storage Monitoring Service

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you go the VI Client in vCenter and confirm the "storage views" tab is working properly?

The fact that you'd said the disk space metrics weren't getting to you is indicating to me that vC Ops isn't getting the data as necessary from the storage service. Even if it is running, sometimes there are problems with it, and SMS might need a restart. When Storage views are working in vCenter AND Disk Space metrics are getting collected by vC Ops for datastores... then we'll be able to say that risk and efficiency should be calculating.

Rozbeh85
Contributor
Contributor

I did, 01.jpg

Do you know what is the SMS name in VCSA? I should restart it with SSH connection but couldn't find it under ls /etc/init.d

0 Kudos
Rozbeh85
Contributor
Contributor

Could someone help me on this please?

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Give this a look:

http://intervirt.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/storage-management-service-sms-will-not-run-on-vmware-vcen...

0 Kudos
MaciekTX
Contributor
Contributor

It might be a late reply but check your time configuration on both vCops appliances. I just run into similar issues.

0 Kudos