VMware Cloud Community
warrenwalker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCOps and NetApp Adapter

Hi,

iI'm trying to find out if the VCOps NetApp ad pater will allow me to see storage capacity usage at the NetApp volume layer. We thin provision datastores and dedupe. We want to provide transparency so that when a user provisions a number of VM's they are to see the thin provisioning and levels over over-commitment at the NetApp volume/aggregate level and also showing the dedupe savings. It would be great if VCops was able to provide this level of detail. Can any provide and real world info on what is possible?

i Haven't had time to set up tests in a lab yet so would be grateful if someone could help me understand what's possible.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Provided the counters are enabled on the NetApp DFM, vC Ops can and will pull the capacity counters. Since we're talking about NetApp counter, the question is whether NetApp offers these counters.. not vC Ops. vC Ops will pull it if it's there and it has the access to collect. You can limit the adapter collection using resource groups on the DFM side.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Provided the counters are enabled on the NetApp DFM, vC Ops can and will pull the capacity counters. Since we're talking about NetApp counter, the question is whether NetApp offers these counters.. not vC Ops. vC Ops will pull it if it's there and it has the access to collect. You can limit the adapter collection using resource groups on the DFM side.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
leo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To expand about DFM - The NetApp adaptor documentation states that the capacity stats that will be pulled from DFM are:

Total Capacity

Available Capacity.

Other capacity metrics are available on DFM - the likes your are looking for - snapshot space, prvisioned space and such. However vCOPs NetApp adaptor will not pull them. This is unfortunate current limitation of the adaptor.

I hope that NetApp will address it the future coming vesrions of its adaptor for vCOPS.

0 Kudos