VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Using vCOPS for alerting vs using vCenter Server alerts

If I am using vCOPS, does it make sense to continue to also set up alerts in vCenter Server to send alerts?  If so, how should vCenter Server and vCOPS work together to provide alerting and emails for example when resources are about to run out?

Is there a case for depending on vCOPS exclusively for alerting and email notifications?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'd say vcops should be the preferred method for alerting on "exhaustion of resources".

However there're alerts which can be set in VC, but vcops won't do. So it depends on your usecase Smiley Happy

JLackman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think they are for different scenarios, and I believe most shops would still want to do both. Each tool provides different information. For example, I would consider vCOPS as a "world" health monitor for easy, "at-a-glance" views of the entire environment. It also provides quick response, and drill down to underlying resources. I would view vCOPS as an "umbrella" environment health monitoring tool with very efficient click drilldown to specific problems.

On the other hand, vCenter is good for alers on specific granular events. For example, I have vCenter notifications set up to send alerts whenever a new VM is powered on, or a guest restarted. I want to catch any new VMs or any similar activity. I don't think you can do something like that in vCOPS. I would view vCenter alarms and email notifications for more granular reporting. It also does not provide a "single pane of glass" dashboard, and does not allow click drilldown from the alert.

If this helps, please mark my reply as the "answer"

Thanks,

Jonathan

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

OK great thanks for input.

0 Kudos