VMware Cloud Community
Lost_Steak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Use vRealize Operations to get VM snapshots and date taken

Hi,

I'm using vROPs 6.2 and I'm building health reports. One of the things that we really would like to know is which VMs have a snapshot and what date the snapshot was created on. I'm halfway there with the "Disk Space|Snapshot Space" Metric. However I cannot figure out if it is possible to tie a date to when the snapshot was created.

Is it possible to use vROPs to find a date when a snapshot was taken? and if so could you provide me some pointers?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lost_Steak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Oleg,

So looking into this a bit more, the example that you have shown is unique to the snapshot on a per VM basis. This won't work finding the dates of snapshots for all VMs.

From all my reading and playing around, there is no way to get the snapshot date on all VMs using a single metric.

I am now using is RVtools to get the snapshot data from all VMs which is very easy and works well.

Thank you all for your replies.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'm fairly certain you can't get snapshots or the date they were taken.  The best you can do is get the amount of space the snapshots are consuming with the metric you found.  You could use the snapshot size as an initial warning indicator since you don't want them growing too large.  But I agree that having the snapshot age would be very useful.  I'm currently still doing this with PowerCLI.

0 Kudos
Lost_Steak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Creating a new View and using the metric "Disk Space|Snapshot Space" I have been able to get snapshots on a per VM basis (use a list and not a summary view). I haven't been able to get or associate any other information about the VM snapshots, i.e. the date the snapshot was taken.

In recent reading, I may be able to get the information by creating a "Super Metric", but I'm not sure how to use them yet.

0 Kudos
Oulyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Snapshot age is available as properties starting from vrops 6.1. Take a look at disk space section of properties and ensure that collection of this property is enabled.

Use View with option Group by -- Instance breakdown to simplify formating

Regards, Oleg

Lost_Steak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Oleg,

So looking into this a bit more, the example that you have shown is unique to the snapshot on a per VM basis. This won't work finding the dates of snapshots for all VMs.

From all my reading and playing around, there is no way to get the snapshot date on all VMs using a single metric.

I am now using is RVtools to get the snapshot data from all VMs which is very easy and works well.

Thank you all for your replies.

0 Kudos
gruiz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello how can I enable the collection for snapshot aging?. Its a setting on the vcenter? or vRops?.

Im looking for a simlpe VIEW/REPORT that shows me the VMs having snapshots and their creation date. Thats all.

Thanks in advance,.

0 Kudos