VMware Cloud Community
StageCoach20111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrading vCOPS and retaining history

I need to upgrade both my vCOPS from 5.0 to 5.7.  In addition, I'm migrating all my VMs from an old 4.x  to a new vCenter server 5.1 environment.  Is it possible for me to get vCOPS 5.7 running and pull the historical data on my VMs from the other vCenter Server over into my upgraded vCOPS in the new enviornment?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChaseHansen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We researched this at one point. vCOps keys off the MOID of the VM and that will change when reinstalling or moving the VM from one vCenter inventory to another. The old VM data will still be in vCOps but will be stranded. Pretty much would look like duplicate VM objects within vCOps.

Here is the thread I started on this topic a few couple ago.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2179376

ServiceOptimi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I am in the process of doing a similar set of migrations and upgrades. So far the test migration from one vcenter to another has gone fine. WE plan the prod move soon. We removed all existing data in one instance using KB articles to remove adapters (although it seems way to general, not a specific instance) and we will copy all prod data to this instance so that we can migrate, upgrade resources, upgrade version to 56 and add the federated lite over top for overall health and reporting of the world across very different environments from one UI.

0 Kudos
vkaranam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Stage Coach,

I had this kind of situation. But here is my scenario. I have to upgrade the vcenter & hosts from 4.1 to 5.X and move the vm under the newly build vcenter 5.X. While moving the vm's under the new vcenter we have to change the name of the vm as per the application in it. So i have made both the vcenters in linked mode where the vcops recognized it and it started collecting data for the new vm's and old vm's. As soon as each vm is being moved in to the new vcenter (by cloning) we are decomisisoning the old and vcops is also not recognizing the old ones. the only problem with this kind fo method is u have to rename the vm and the vcops should have a license key which can hold double the size of your vm environment so that when u do linked mode it wont stop collecting metrics due to the license issues.

Thanks

VK