VMware Cloud Community
kazzic555
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update to Aria Operations SMTP plugin no longer works

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone else has seen this issue.

Updated to 8.12 from 8.10.2.

SMTP plugin no longer works. I try and do a test email notification and get the following error - Test was not successful: Unable to configure plugin.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AluminumFoyle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We just made this discovery.

Apparently in 8.12, you are required to put basic authentication credential for SMTP plugin.

We had to set up a basic authentication (see screenshot for config ) credentials. For the "SMTP Cred Temp", we just used bogus credentials "username/password", and the test connection seems to work again. Seems like VMware made the auth type and account fields mandatory, but forgot to mark that they are mandatory fields in the Web ui?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
tysonmoore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same issue.

0 Kudos
AluminumFoyle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same for us - This is happening on a VROPs cluster i upgraded from 8.6.4 directly to 8.12 as well as on a second one i upgraded from 8.10.2 to 8.12. I get this error when "testing" to see if the connection is working to our SMTP endpoint. We have a lot of email alerts set up in VROPs that we are no longer getting on the 8.12 instances. Going to guess this is a release bug. We logged a GSS Support SR for this issue so will see what GSS has to say.

0 Kudos
AluminumFoyle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We just made this discovery.

Apparently in 8.12, you are required to put basic authentication credential for SMTP plugin.

We had to set up a basic authentication (see screenshot for config ) credentials. For the "SMTP Cred Temp", we just used bogus credentials "username/password", and the test connection seems to work again. Seems like VMware made the auth type and account fields mandatory, but forgot to mark that they are mandatory fields in the Web ui?

kazzic555
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI,

Thanks for your update. Thats a great find.

Didn't see that anywhere in the release notes.

0 Kudos
Joffer77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have the same problem. And the workaround suggested above (just create a bogus credential) works. You don't even have to check off the box for 'Requires Authentication'

Joffer77_0-1682675726026.png

As long as you selected the "Basic Authentication" and add some bogus credential was added at the second last line I got my test emails just fine.

HansvdStek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, worked for me after the upgrade yesterday

0 Kudos
mnowak10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello! Thank you very much for sharing the solution. it was a great help to me!

0 Kudos
AluminumFoyle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vrops aria operations 8.12HF1 dropped the other day and also fixes this issue without having to apply the above workaround. Procedure we are following,

upgrade aria life cycle manager/vrslcm to latest 8.12

install latest 8.12.0.3 pspack  

Fetch 8.12 product binaries and the hot fix 1 patch binaries

Upgrade (i tested from 8.6.3, 8.6.4, and 8.10 to 8.12 and all worked as expected) vrops aria operations cluster to 8.12. Let cluster initialize and make sure everything looks OK. Once cluster is up and healthy install the HF1 PATCH immediately. After the cluster initializes on 8.12hf1, your smtp should work. 2 consecurive patches does suck but it is what it is. VMware agility 😉

0 Kudos
Remcod1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It might be useful to put this in the release notes as I encounted the same issue and it wasn't mentioned anywhere. Only after googling the issue I noticed this topic...

0 Kudos