VMware Cloud Community
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Troubleshooting alert emails not being sent...

Hi guys.

I've been trying to get email notification alerts working, but running into some issues.

What has been done so far:

• Logged into ADMIN interface, set up SMTP server settings. Appears to be happy.
  • Set up alerts (will alert on anything) in the VCOPS-VSPHERE UI. No alerts coming through.
  • Trying to set up connection in CUSTOM-UI. Test fails.

So we use ESMTP with SSL on port 587.

First of all, I'm not sure where to check the logs for the VCOPS-VSPHERE UI.

I undestand that it will retain the alerts to send for a week.

• How can I test that it should be working
  • How can I see what errors it is encountering?

Second, the CUSTOM-UI email test fails.

• Screenshot of settings attached.
  • Log file says: 530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated
  • Can someone confirm what should be in the settings to get SSL authentication correctly (I can't find a document on this)?

connectionfail.jpg

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you configured the emailFilter.xml file yet? It needs this proper information to send the Test Alert.. specifically it uses the SendTo e-mail fields to target the test e-mails. Also ensure your return address identifiers in the file are there so you've got a valid sender. This may be why your test is failing - your SMTP relay is telling you that your send from account is bogus.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Mark,

Yes, sorry - forgot to post that.

I have indeed configured the XML file - I have set the sent to and send from address as my own.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What version vC Ops?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Version 5.7.2 Build 1314472

Advanced License Mode

(For Horizon)...

We are evaluating for now.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is the connect intended to be SSL or SSL with TLS?

0 Kudos
JimmyLeunglkm
Contributor
Contributor

Im not sure about this, but i rmb reading some notes stating that email alert will not work with ssl setting, perhaps try testing it first with no ssl settings

This known issue is documented in 5.0 release note, and I don't see latter version's release note stating that this is resolved

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi sorry for delay - been away.

TLS I believe. We generally would use the STARTTLS command if telnet-ing.

0 Kudos
MrBeatnik
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Really? We won't allow it to be sent without SSL enabled, so I can't test...

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The standard-email-plugins works, but I'm not sure on the enterprise-email-plugin. They're different binaries on the back-end. I can't recall the last time I tried this with the end plugin, but best to try it with the manual cert adds to truststore, as this would be needed.

When you added the SMTP server via the /admin UI, it prompted you for a certificate. Great for the standard-email-handler, but not so for the enterprise-email-handler. This is because you need to manually add the SMTP server's cert chain to the truststore file if it wasn't already added. I'm thinking there is a chance your client didn't authenticate because the SMTP server's cert was rejected... that is somewhere to start. Add the cert chain for your SMTP server here, on both the Analytics and UI VMs: $ALIVE_BASE/user/conf/truststore. Make sure it's in PEM format, just like your SSL certs.. then Test it with the "Test" as well as with an actually test email notification in the emailFilter.xml file.

0 Kudos