VMware Cloud Community
awjudge
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The state of SNMP?

Hi,

I'm having difficulty working out where SNMP monitoring fits into the grand scheme of things in terms of vCOps.

I have installed the SNMP adapter, which works fine, but it seems that you can only have 1 MIB configured for a given device. That is to say, the 'Resource Kind' for the device can only reference a single MIB. This is pretty limiting, unless you create multiple resource kinds for the same device, and pull the relevant MIB OIDs that way.

Is this the way it works, or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

1 Reply
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It sounds like you have an accurate understanding of the adapter. You're looking at vC Ops in the wrong light, as rec'ving SNMP traps isn't it's core competency in the current release. It has SNMP for basically functionality, but it's by no means intended to be used as a trapsink for an environment. MIBs translate to RKs because that's how the SNMP constructs map to vC Ops constructs. Perhaps in the future there will be a more advanced SNMP adapter, but for the time being it's a very simple implementation.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.