VMware Cloud Community
TechSTSAnthony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Object display names resetting

Hi,

In VROps we have many databases, IIS websites and .Net applications across various environments that have the same or similar names.

This makes it difficult to know which server or environment an alert corresponds to as by default VROps applies the default name with the name of the DB, application or website.

We decided to rename all the objects "display name" to include the server name which we have done on a selected few objects but have found that some of the objects revert back to the default display name as set by VROps. This causes problems as we want to have object groups which contain objects based on if it contains the server name and then dashboards health status based on the object group so if the name reverts back to default it no longer contains the server name so will no longer be included in the health status on the dashboard.

I would like to find out if there is a way to either define how objects are named by default in the inventory or is there a way to prevent VROps from reverting the names back to default.

Regards,

Anthony

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TechSTSAnthony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Seem to have figured this out with a lot of research and testing.

This isn't really a fix for the original issue which is that the server name is not appended to the object name which seems to be a limitation in the IIS management pack.

I then found a way to get the objects to be applied to dynamic custom group and create new symptoms and alert definitions in order to have the alerts indicated the problem server, these are detailed below:

Dynamic custom groups:

this was simple and just required me to apply the relationship| descendant of criteria which allowed the dynamic group to include all the relevant services.

Alert:

For this i created a new symptom for each service and a new alert definition based on the "Virtual machine" object.

refer to this post for me detail which was very helpful: EP Ops Windows service monitoring

I hope this is helpful for someone in the future

Regards,

Anthony

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TechSTSAnthony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Some further information this seems to be limited to the following types of objects:

- ASP.NET Application

- IIS WAS Service Application Pool

- IIS WWW Service Site

Any help on how to prevent these from resetting would be much appreciated

Regards,

Anthony

0 Kudos
TechSTSAnthony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Seem to have figured this out with a lot of research and testing.

This isn't really a fix for the original issue which is that the server name is not appended to the object name which seems to be a limitation in the IIS management pack.

I then found a way to get the objects to be applied to dynamic custom group and create new symptoms and alert definitions in order to have the alerts indicated the problem server, these are detailed below:

Dynamic custom groups:

this was simple and just required me to apply the relationship| descendant of criteria which allowed the dynamic group to include all the relevant services.

Alert:

For this i created a new symptom for each service and a new alert definition based on the "Virtual machine" object.

refer to this post for me detail which was very helpful: EP Ops Windows service monitoring

I hope this is helpful for someone in the future

Regards,

Anthony

0 Kudos