VMware Cloud Community
Tony_Rosas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New VM Alert

Does anyone have a recommendation on creating a custom alert in Ops Manager that will notify me either email or in the alerts dashboard that a new VM has been deployed?

Thank You

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tony_Rosas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the response. We don't have log Insight so I think your first option is going to be the only way to do this. We currently have the alert setup in vCenter but the alert contents cannot be modified in vCenter, only the subject.

What I am looking to do is create an alert with a sort of checklist and hyperlinks when a new VM is created. I did see the option for the total number of VMs increase, so that would be helpful but as you said, not ideal.

Thanks for the input, its very much appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are a couple things you could do. The first, which isn't ideal, is to use the "Total Number of VMs" metric at either the cluster or datacenter level and create a symptom definition for when that number goes over a static threshold. Probably the better thing to do is to use Log Insight to watch for the event that indicates a VM has been created, and then send that alert to vROps using the built-in integration.

0 Kudos
Tony_Rosas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the response. We don't have log Insight so I think your first option is going to be the only way to do this. We currently have the alert setup in vCenter but the alert contents cannot be modified in vCenter, only the subject.

What I am looking to do is create an alert with a sort of checklist and hyperlinks when a new VM is created. I did see the option for the total number of VMs increase, so that would be helpful but as you said, not ideal.

Thanks for the input, its very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

One thing to note:  If you have a license for vCenter, you also own Log Insight (25 OSI instances). So you may still want to deploy that solution to see what you get from it. It's a very valuable tool and may probably accomplish what you want in an easier fashion.

0 Kudos
Tony_Rosas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Very cool! I will look into our licensing. Thanks very much for the tip.

0 Kudos