VMware Cloud Community
invalidmemory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hosts and VMs missing in VC OPs 5.8.0

Hi

Our vCenter Ops web gui no longer shows any ESXi hosts, VMs or Datastores.  The two linux VC appliances have been rebooted (Analytics and UI) as well as our vCenter server.  The hierarchy only expands as far our clusters.  But I'm still receiving email alerts from VC about various memory alerts on VMs so it appears to still be working.

Can anyone advise whats gone wrong?  I have also tried logging in to the web gui as root and different web browsers.

Thanks

Stuart

[screenshot attached]

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks. There is a possibility that the Hosts Systems are in maintenance mode in vC Ops. Please follow this KB to check your Host Systems resources within the Custom UI: (just follow instructions for the Custom UI, not the postgres db stuff)

VMware KB: ESXi/ESX hosts no longer present in the VMware vCenter Operations Manager inventory

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Log in to the Custom UI and view the Environment Overview. See if the VMs and Host Systems are green+collection, or blue+not collecting.

Also, log in to the vSphere UI as "admin" and see if the effects are different than with other users ('root' cannot log in to the web portals).

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
invalidmemory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Environment overview shows all of the VMs as green and if I double-click one it takes me to the stats for it.  So that works at least.

Logging in as admin produces the same results - no hosts or VMs

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It's possible you lost some of the visibility in to some of the vCenter resources in the hierarchy.

Go to the /admin UI and check to ensure the license is properly attached. if it isn't, assign it in vCenter and give it 20-30min. If it already has the license, go ahead and update the credentials to the vCenter you're collecting from (again, /admin UI).. perhaps something got a little funky in build the relationships between resources. If vC Ops crashes hard, sometimes you need to bounce the adapters to get out of their funk.

A possibility, and something that DOES happen, is if you knock down vC Ops the next time you boot it up the /admin UI will prompt you to input the start-up settings again (vCenter, etc). Just input the same stuff you had before you'll be OK after that wizard - if you want to see what you had configured before just log in to the /custom UI and copy the vCenter name/hostname/etc from the Enviornment Overview / vCenter instance resource.

0 Kudos
invalidmemory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I've logged into the /admin UI and the licence status is Licenced.  The vCenter server is listed under vCenter Server Registration, it is connected and registered.  I have tried unregister and then re-registered the vCenter server but no difference.  The vC Ops appliance restarted it's services after the unregister and again after the re-register, which took about 5 minutes each time.

I haven't seen the startup settings appear.  I'll try a complete shutdown and power up next ...

0 Kudos
invalidmemory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Didn't work.  Do you have any other suggestions?  thanks

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks. There is a possibility that the Hosts Systems are in maintenance mode in vC Ops. Please follow this KB to check your Host Systems resources within the Custom UI: (just follow instructions for the Custom UI, not the postgres db stuff)

VMware KB: ESXi/ESX hosts no longer present in the VMware vCenter Operations Manager inventory

invalidmemory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great thanks Maintenance mode in vC Ops was the answer.  My colleagues put the ESXi hosts into maintenance mode in vCenter last week but I didn't connect the two events.  In the Custom UI i ended maintenance mode for each host in Environment > Environment Overview.

Thank you!

0 Kudos