VMware Cloud Community
vincikb
Contributor
Contributor

Help creating Super Metric to show guest file system above 90%

I created a Dashboard with a Heat Map and Top-N-Analysis showing Virtual Machine|Guest File System % so we could quickly determine which VM's are getting low on disk space.  I would like to create a generic scoreboard generic scoreboard that would show a number of how many VM's are above 90% free space.  So it would simply say 15 and the title of that dashboard would be # of VM's with % free space above 90%.  So I assume I would need to create a super metric but when creating the super metric I don't see a way for me to type >90 into the forumla.  Can anyone give me some help?  Thank You

Scoreboard.jpgScoreboard2.jpg

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you can't use > or < in supermetrics Smiley Happy

you can think of a way (tricky) to do it with the available functions & operators, or use consolidated-alerts.

e.g. a consolidated alert can be configured to trigger (for example) onlye when multiple VMs have the guest_disk_space above certain value

vincikb
Contributor
Contributor

Can you try it in your environment and post an example of how I could do this with the available functions or consolidated-alerts?  Thank You so much!

0 Kudos
KristofPattou
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue, did you find a trick to summarize all vm's with file system > 90  ?

0 Kudos
vincikb
Contributor
Contributor

I just ended up creating a dashboard with a Top-N-Analytis set to show Top highest utilization, then under the tag I select Word, Virtual Machine, Guest Disk space.  I also have a heat map showing any VM over 90% to change it to red.  I am testing setting up an email alert to email us whenever a guest VM disk space goes over 95%.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

A way to add a operator with a threshold is to configure a hard threshold for the metric. Say, if guest OS disk usage % > 90, kick off a critical KPI. At that point you can use alert widgets and Top-N to view them. This is just one way to accomplish it. As suggested, you can also config a consolidated alert to view these specific alerts.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos