VMware Cloud Community
Frank1ro
Contributor
Contributor

Error after entering the license key, ""Invalid license key,file not found" error.

Every time I try to enter the license code for vCenter I get an error telling me "Invalid license key, file not found".

I contacted VMware to confirm that my license code was good and they confirm it, no typos at all.

I then open a trouble ticket and was forwared to their outsource location in India where the help desk support person told me that I needed to install "vCenter Operations Manager" (what?) and then try registering the license code again.

Well, after downloading a 1.2GB ova file and inporting it onto vcenter the same issue remains.

Any of you experience it before?

thank you.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you install the default VMware ESXi image or an OEM image? IIRC there were some issues with HP OEM images in the past.

Btw. vCOPS only needs to be installed in case you want to enter vCOPS license keys.

André

0 Kudos
Frank1ro
Contributor
Contributor

The default eSXI image.

"Btw. vCOPS only needs to be installed in case you want to enter vCOPS license keys." <== this is exactly why I decided to come to the forums, I felt I was being mislead by those guys.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Where are you trying to enter the vCenter Server license?

Unless you did, select "Administration" -> "vCenter Server Settings..." from the vCenter Server's menu.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
Frank1ro
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry for posting on the wrong forum but it wouldn't let me post uncer vcenter when I tried.

To answer your question I'm following this: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc_50/GUID-11C4AC...

and when I Select "Assign a new license key to this vCenter Server", click "Enter Key", and enter a vCenter Server license key and click OK is when I get the error.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you try to enter the key at Home > Administration > Licensing -> Manage vSphere Licenses..., just to see what happens if you try it there!?

André

0 Kudos
Frank1ro
Contributor
Contributor

Yup!....  same issue.  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, so let's put together what you have:

• vCenter Server 5.0 - which version did you license, Standard, Foundation or Essentials [Plus]?
  • how many hosts are already added to this instance?
  • are you able to enter the host/CPU licenses?
  • did you double check the license key on your VMware portal to make sure it shows the correct vCenter Server version?

André

0 Kudos
Frank1ro
Contributor
Contributor

• vCenter Server 5.0 - which version did you license, Standard, Foundation or Essentials [Plus]?

VMware vCenter Operations Advanced 5.0

• how many hosts are already added to this instance?

• are you able to enter the host/CPU licenses?

Yes

• did you double check the license key on your VMware portal to make sure it shows the correct vCenter Server version?

Yes, even contacted VMware and it checks out.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VMware vCenter Operations Advanced 5.0

From what I understood before, I thought you were talking about vCenter Server and not vCenter Operations!? Well, in this case the support guy was correct. In order to be able to enter license keys for vCOPS you first need to install the vApp.

André

0 Kudos
Frank1ro
Contributor
Contributor

I did.. then follow vmware kb2017464 to license it but no dice... same issue.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you follow the installation steps as documented in vCenter Operations Manager Deployment and Configuration Guide (especially "Define the vCenter Server System to Monitor" starting at page 18)?

André

0 Kudos
Frank1ro
Contributor
Contributor

Do you think my issue is because I don't have a register license for vCenter server itself?

I notice I'm trying to register "operations manager" onto an evaluation copy of vCenter server or does "VCenter Operations Manager" key will registered both?

I might need to ask headquarters to buy VCenter Server license if that is the case. If not, yes I did follow the directions from that guide to the "T".

If I need to take VCenter server out of the equation, page 9 requires me to intall "vCenter Operations Manger Plug-in". How do I go about installing such plug-in?

0 Kudos
VMCHIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any updates to your problem?  I installed vCOPS today and registered it with my vCenter and I cannot add the license key.  I get the same message.

0 Kudos
angryjesters
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into this issue when I tried to apply the license before registering vCenter Operations with vCenter Server. After successfully deploying the ova and ensuring vCops was registering to vCenter; I then went to Administration > Licensing .. select Asset.. Saw vCenter Operations Manager unlicensed; selected Change license key and then was able to apply my license key. Hopefully this helps you to resolve this.

0 Kudos
Frank1ro
Contributor
Contributor

I believe that's my issue, VCOPS is not registered. I'm using the trial version and have 30 days left to registered it.

Our management bought the "Operations Manger" license and not the VCOPS thinking one license will cover both. :smileyangry:

Already talk to them and the wells are in motion to get the VCOPS license. I hope that will solved it.

0 Kudos