VMware Cloud Community
awjudge
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Duplicate Resource Kinds?

Hi,

I have recently moved from the old Hyperic adapter to the new Hyperic Analytics Pack.

Generally things look ok, and I'm getting the metrics I expect from Hyperic.

The problem I have though is with Heatmaps (at least, that's where I discovered it, it might be elsewhere too...)

It looks like I now have duplicate Resource Kinds when selecting them in the Heatmap widgets. Specifically, I see Win32 and Linux listed twice. When I try configuring a heatmap for either resource kind, the heatmap is blank with no data, even though the metric browser shows what I would expect it to.

My guess is that the 'old' entry for these resource kinds is getting in the way.

When I look in Environment/Resource Kinds, I only see Win32 and Linux listed once.

I have tried restarting vC Ops, but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
awjudge
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This has now been resolved. It appears there were leftover entries for the old Hyperic Adapter in the database.

I followed the steps in this KB article: VMware KB: Removing custom adapter kinds from vCenter Operations Manager 5.x (vApp version)

The only thing that didn't work initially, was the name of the adapter that goes into the SQL file. I had a look in the AdapterKind table in the alivevm database, to see the correct name. In my case it was HYPERIC_PUSH_ADAPTER.

Once that was set, I ran the SQL script and the problem was resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Did you remove the old Hyperic adapter instance prior to installing the Hyperic Analytics Pack? Go to the Attribute configuration, and you'll probably have the older adapter+attributes packages and new adapter+attributes packages. I would suggest going to manage resource kind tags and seeing if the new resource kinds simply aren't selected for viewing. The manage resource kinds tags section of the environment overview dashboard will also impact what resource kinds are shown in the list on the heatmap widget. This may very well be where you problem lies. Hide the old resourcekinds tags and make the new resourcekind tags visible of type Win32/Linux. They can be identified by the resourcekind ID, with the new resourcekinds having a higher ID #.

Also, what should have been done prior to installing the new Hyperic Analytics pack is delete the old Hyperic adapter instance as well as all existing Hyperic resources. Was this done prior to installing the new Analytics pack?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If the old entries are in blue- not fetching any metric data, just delete them.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I believe he wasn't referring to resources, he was referring to resource kinds. Duplicate resource kind "names" are not a problem since it's ID driven, you just need to adjust the resource kind visibility one-time as per my instructions to clean-up. The only way you can delete a resourcekind is via query against postgres db "alive", which shouldn't be necessary and should only be done with a KB/PSO/GSS's assistance.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

oh, my bad. yes you are right.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
awjudge
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This has now been resolved. It appears there were leftover entries for the old Hyperic Adapter in the database.

I followed the steps in this KB article: VMware KB: Removing custom adapter kinds from vCenter Operations Manager 5.x (vApp version)

The only thing that didn't work initially, was the name of the adapter that goes into the SQL file. I had a look in the AdapterKind table in the alivevm database, to see the correct name. In my case it was HYPERIC_PUSH_ADAPTER.

Once that was set, I ran the SQL script and the problem was resolved.

0 Kudos