VMware Cloud Community
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Display inaccuracies

We're into about our third week of vC Ops install.

So we've gone through some "Let's try this" with the fault and alerts settings and thresholds.

As it was explained to me, those are re calculated once a day as some process.

I saw this evidence as I made some changes one day, and the next day we had almost 300 alerts across the Red-Orange-Yellow flags - 6 pages worth

A little more sensitive than we needed.

I re adjusted the thresholds and settings. And then tried to cancel the Fault Alerts.  If I selected 1 or multiple, the interface replied "Please Select Fault Alterts to Cancel".  So I went home ... 😉

Next day (today) the alert volume/indicator still showed +300 alerts.  But in the Alerts pane, it only had a handful - one page worth - more closely resembling what we're looking for - so I knew the adjustments worked, and were updated.

I was able to select the alerts and hit the button to cancel and it prompted with an "are you sure" .. as expected. .. and I said yes.

However, the alerts records still show, but I can't select to cancel (again)

I've restarted my browser, and the vSphere client, and it is still acting the same - showing too many "active alerts" in the graph and side-bar icons, and can't select to cancel (even though I already canceled)

Time for a vC Ops reboot?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi TBking,

can you share which vcops version&edition do you have?

- as to the cancel-multiple-faults issue, that is known problem, and we are working on fixing that in a following maintenance release;

- thresholds - did you notice that those can be disabled, in addition to being moved - just click on the threshload and it will become 'hollow'/disabled.

Also, alerting on particular badges can be disabled as well.

- In general, You should wait least a week for vcops to "settle" and learn a bit more about the habits of your environment.

hope this helps!

0 Kudos
TBKing
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

v5.0.2 Enterprise

With the "cancel multiple alerts" - The Alert records were gone by the next day - and I expect the same for the lower count from this morning,  but the Alert Volume graph on the Alerts page, as well as on the Dashboard under Health don't reflect it.

We're just shy of 3 weeks since the install.

So now we're into the "What does This do?" mode.

Thanks!

0 Kudos