VMware Cloud Community
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Custom alerts in vCOPS

Hi all,

I have read a lot of document and threads, but I haven't understood the mechanism to use for setting custom alerts in VCOPS.

I would like to send a custom alert, for example, when c:\ disk is over 90% of disk space used, to a file (in append). Is this possible? I have tried the Global outbound settings, but I can only set few parameters (path, instance name e type of notification, Log file in my example). VCOPS creates a lot of files, one for each alert. How can create a unique file and how can filter (customize) the alerts that will be triggerend in the file log?

Thank you very much.

Matrix

0 Kudos
7 Replies
gabinun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please watch this video

GN
0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your link, but my problem seems different...

Matrix

0 Kudos
gabinun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you explain exactly what r u trying to do?

Sorry

Reagrds,

GN
0 Kudos
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I would like to create an entry in a log file triggered by a specific alert (for example disk space on a drive o a VM).

It's possible?

Thanks

Matrix

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What you're looking for is pretty specific (log file). If you use the log file outbound alert in vC Ops Custom UI, it'll just drop the files to the local disk. You might want to think about sending SNMP traps to vCO and setting up your filtering logic there to allow for a more scalable/cleaner solution.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
Matrix_1970
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Markj,

thank you for your answer. I think I can create not a single file, but a lot of files (one per alert). ;-(

OK, but how can configure this for a specific alert? for example, for an alert on diskspace fo C: drive for a VM?

Thank you very much

Matrix

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Like I said earlier, you'd probably want to send the alerts to something more scalable like vCO for processing instead of just dumping logs to the vC Ops appliance. See the following article on to build this type of integration:

vCenter Operations integration with vCenter Orchestrator in 5 minutes or less | VMware vCenter Orche...

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos