VMware Cloud Community
jbenson81
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring Alerts to EMC SMARTS

We're attempting to configure outbound alerts from our vCOPS 5.7 instance to our SMARTS 9.2 setup. I've configured my alert handler and made the necessary change to the plugin.properties file on the vApp, however I'm encountering an issue. Our SMARTS monitoring pulls from several different monitoring tools, and as such there's a lot of overlap. This means I don't need to send alerts on every resource type that vCOPS is monitoring, but I don't see where in the process of defining your alerts you're able to specify a particular resource. It seems like you're able to just enable this default out-of-the-box alerts into an on or off state.

Say I only wanted to alert high CPU usage on my vCenter servers to EMC. It doesn't seem like I can do that without configuring that alert for my entire environment. Is this not the case? Am I missing something obvious?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aaghabekyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not sure about SMARTS but using Email Outbound alert plugin you can group resources you are interested in within tag value, then set plugin to notify alerts filtered by selected tag.

Venkat7
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

We can send only CPU Usage alerts to Smart Server by updating sendByType property with subtype values for example if subtype is KPI HT Breach then we can update sendByType as below
sendByType=CLASSIC::KPI_HT_BREACH.

SmartAndVcops.png

But if we want to send only particular resource alerts to EMC Smart it is not possible as of today.

0 Kudos