VMware Cloud Community
Hmunning
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Collection time interval specific metric.

Hello,

I`ve created several dashboards to monitor our vdi environment for developers. Currently we have over 85 Persistent Horizon View pools to monitor in our capacity dashboard. The Horizon View adapter instance is collecting every 5 minutes, but some metrics seems to update only once a day. For example:  Object type "VDI Desktop Pool" metric "Badge Capacity Remaining" . All metric options to monitor the capacity (or remaining capacity) of a pool seems to have this issue. Anyone has an idea to fix this? Or is there a better way to do this? 

Thanks in advance. 

Kind regards,

Herman

0 Kudos
5 Replies
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The capacity calculations run by default every 24 hours. There is a KB article for vROPS 6.0 explaining how to change this. How to change the capacity calculation schedule and interval in vRealize Operations Manager (2116569...

This should also work for newer versions.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

This is by design.

Capacity Remaining is not a metric like CPU usage and there for not collected but calculated from other collected metrics. All capacity related stuff is calculated every 24h and cant be changed. The only thing that can be changed is the time to does its calculation not how often. You can check when it is due to run in the global settings under the administration page.

I have also been told by vmware that you cant start a calculation using api's. The reason for this is the calculation can take a long time depending on the size of the environment and if you were to set it to every 2h and it took 6 to run it would be always running and would require bigger nodes for the processing.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

erikverbruggen i did not know you could change this. if i could mark this as helpful i would. you learn something new every day.

The one thing i would be worried about is how long does each calculation take. Do you know of a log or something that will tell you how long each pass takes

0 Kudos
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't know if you can find this in a log or somewhere else. I suspect it could be in the analytics logging but i'm not sure.

0 Kudos
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

There are metrics for the capacity calculation time.  Go to the vROps cluster, All Metrics:

Capacity Computation|Phase 1 Computation Time (ms)

Capacity Computation|Phase 2 Computation Time (ms)

I don't know what the difference is between phase 1 and 2 though.  I wish some of the self-health metrics were better documented.  You can also look at Progress (%) to see how long it takes to progress from 0 to 100%.