VMware Cloud Community
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Aria Operation DNS settings

Hey all,

My vROps lost connectivity to vCenter and is showing the message 'Host is not reachable.' I SSH'd to the node, and I cannot ping vCenter by hostname but can by IP, so I believe it's a DNS issue. However, I can't find where I can check and change the settings in vROps (Aria). Can you help, please?

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
opettersen
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Piotr,

As you can ping the IP, but not the FQDN, there are a few of options.

1. Change the FQDN for the vCenter adapter in AOps for IP of vCenter instance. This is the quick and dirty way and least desirable method as it does not resolve underlying DNS issues

In the left pane select Data Sources -> Integration -> Expand vCenter section -> Click on the name of the vCenter adapter you need to modify

Then replace FQDN with IP

2. Modify /etc/hosts file to include IP, FQDN and hostname for vCenter. 

Make sure you add it above/below the VAMI block that starts and ends with:

# vROps_EDIT_BEGIN

# vROps_EDIT_END

Anything inside that block is managed by VAMI, and may be reset upon reboot of appliance. This workaround is best use if you cannot resolve the DNS issue yourself in a relatively timely manner.

3. Resolve the underlying DNS issue.

Ensure that both forwards and reverse lookups are ok:

#> nslookup <IP>

#> nslookup <FQDN>

If you do not get a response, but you are aware of working DNS server, you can try:

#> nslookup <IP> <DNS server IP>

#> nslookup <FQDN> <DNS server IP>

This can be used to determine if a DNS server is able to resolve the IP or FQDN, in an attempt to locate a working DNS server.

If nslookup is not able to resolve IP or FQDN. Verify that the DNS server is functioning. Please check with your DNS administrator

If nslookup is only ale to resolve IP, but not FQDN. The DNS server is likely missing the reverse lookup. Please check with your DNS administrator

When you have a working DNS server or need to change the IP for the DNS server, you 'could' make a change in /etc/resolv.conf. Though that is not a persistent change as it will be reset upon reboot. 

To make the change persistent in vROps/AOps 8.12 and earlier, follow instructions in KB: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2115840

Please note that the change in vAPP options is mandatory and should not be omitted.

There is currently (as of Dec 7th 2023) no KB written for changing DNS for Aria Operations 8.14.

However, you can follow the vAPP option part of https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2115840 (Option 1 and Option 2 does not work as VAMI tools are not present in PhotonOS 4.0)

We have a KB for Aria Operations for Logs 8.14, and the you can follow step 5 onwards under AOL 8.14 heading: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/91258

Hope this helps

ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey @opettersen ,

Thanks for a tips, 

one cannot modify /etc/hosts as it is managed by the system, however, I managed to resolve this by modifying /etc/resolv.conf. 

I will give you a KUDOS 🙂 

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos