VMware Cloud Community
ShawnPD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Application Folder under Groups in vcops-vsphere UI view

I was not sure if this fell under vCops or Infrastructure Navigator so thought I would start here...some preliminaries...vCops 5.8.0, build 1537842, License mode:Advanced

Infrastructure Navigator 2.0.0.398, Build 890698

Based on what I read in the ... vCenter Operations Manager Getting Started Guide, there should be an Application group populated by the discoveries made by VIN.

pastedImage_0.png

However, I do not have an Application folder as you can see above.

In the latest log in /data/vcops/adapters/VinAdapter on the Analytics vm the following is recorded:

014-04-27 10:35:30,827 ERROR [Collector worker thread 8] (5411) com.integrien.adapter3.vin.VinAdapter.onCollect - OnCollect failed

java.lang.RuntimeException: Check vin enabled failed

at com.integrien.adapter3.vin.InventoryServiceHandler.checkVinEnabled(InventoryServiceHandler.java:308)

at com.integrien.adapter3.vin.VinAdapter.onCollect(VinAdapter.java:150)

at com.integrien.alive.common.adapter3.AdapterBase.collectBase(AdapterBase.java:644)

at com.integrien.alive.common.adapter3.AdapterBase.collect(AdapterBase.java:457)

at com.integrien.alive.collector.CollectorWorkItem3.run(CollectorWorkItem3.java:47)

at com.integrien.alive.common.util.ThreadPool$WorkerItem.run(ThreadPool.java:239)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I am not real sure what I missing or doing wrong...the documentation for troubleshooting these issues is very limited.

Any ideas?  Thoughts?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Seems like the VIN integration is not working for you, for some reason.

hence you don't see the Application group

The most common problem with that error is due to DNS resolution. check that your vCenter can be accessed by both IP and hostname from vc ops (both VMs)

ShawnPD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to resolve fqdns all around...that is from the VIN to the vCenter...also just for fun I logged in to our vCops vms (UI and analytics) and also was able to resolve all fqdns from all vms. 

0 Kudos
gradinka
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

the full connection from vcops to both VIN and VC is what's important here.

any other errors above/below those few lines you have posted?

0 Kudos
ShawnPD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Went back to review and found the very last entry in the VinAdapter.log is the one posted above...no subsequent entries...I am about ready to scrap this whole mess and start fresh I think!  Just found I have additiona VIN issues...seems VIN is no longer able to authenticate to most of the vms in our environment...so I am not sure how this lack of connectivity between vCops and most of the vms relate.

I did find out we have S&S support until the end of September so opened a case for the authenticaton issue between VIN and our vms...I will also add this to the request when I speak wit the TSE.

0 Kudos