VMware Cloud Community
vcpguy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Active Guest Memory ?

I was wondering is Active Guest Memory metric usage over 30 days period, a good indicator of memory used by a given VM? I cannot go with consumed memory because most of the OS cache the memory from the host.

I am trying to how managment that the VMs, which are overprovisioned and I think, this is a good indicator to show the usage.

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nope I dont have a definition for all of them...mostly is easy to work out, but I found and easy way to see what they mean. In vCenter, under the performance tab, when you select a metric there is an short explenation on the metric. The issue for me is rather what is "normal" values for them. This is where DT comes in.

With a supermetric u can use any of those metric's. I have created a super metric in the pass that looks at (Health badgee - (total vcpu count * cost per vCPU......see my blog on this) Thus mosth mathematics are possible.

I was refering to Active memory and Swop out rate (not demand and swop out).

So consider this:

1. my active memory is = to configured memory with no Swop out rate. Thus I have just enought memory for the VM

2. my avtive memory is = to configured memory and I am swapping out memory. This indicated my demand for memory is higer than configured and I need more vMEM for my VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You should look at the Active memory and then also consider swap out rate.

Looking at the Memory Demand of a VM will give you a good indication of Memory Demand for that VM.

I would say 30 days's is a good indication. Try to see if you can get an avg for 4 weeklies also.

vcpguy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have the definition for all those Metrics under the All Metrics tab ? I am having a hard time figuring out all of those metrics ?

I was wondering if, we can have a Super Metrics created with these options and show it on a Dashboard ?

Why do you think - memory Demand and Swap out rate will make a difference ?

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nope I dont have a definition for all of them...mostly is easy to work out, but I found and easy way to see what they mean. In vCenter, under the performance tab, when you select a metric there is an short explenation on the metric. The issue for me is rather what is "normal" values for them. This is where DT comes in.

With a supermetric u can use any of those metric's. I have created a super metric in the pass that looks at (Health badgee - (total vcpu count * cost per vCPU......see my blog on this) Thus mosth mathematics are possible.

I was refering to Active memory and Swop out rate (not demand and swop out).

So consider this:

1. my active memory is = to configured memory with no Swop out rate. Thus I have just enought memory for the VM

2. my avtive memory is = to configured memory and I am swapping out memory. This indicated my demand for memory is higer than configured and I need more vMEM for my VM.

0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't see that information in vCenter for 4.1 and 5.

I wil try to work on that supermetric and may be put on my blog Smiley Happy I am sure, i will need your help/resources for them.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just email me hugo@vmware.com...will help you where I can.

0 Kudos