VMware Cloud Community
TechSTSAnthony
Contributor
Contributor

Combine LI agent log entries or Time period to monitor folder

Hi,

I'm new to Log Insight looking at how to streamline monitoring of one of our applications.

I have a couple of servers that write 1 log file when it does a process between 00:00 and 01:00 in the morning, the log file is written over this period with each step and it status

example:

Step 1: step name

Step 1 Status : OK : step task

Info: additional info of task

Step 1 Status : OK : step task

Info: additional info of task

Step 2: step name

Step 2 Status : OK : step task

Step 2 Status : OK : step task

Info: additional info of task....

each step and step task is written as it is completed.

I have a regex which is just looking for the Step [1-9] for each line so i get a log entry for each line along with the info line

I then have an alert query which looks for "error" in the entry and sends an email alert

The issue is I only get the one specific line with info the error is on but I would like to get the entire step - so if the error is for the 2nd step task in Step 2 i would like the alert to have all the log entries for Step 2 or the previous lets say 5 events before the error occurred.

Possible solution i need assistance with:

1 - is it possible to set the LI agent folder monitor to only collect logs at a certain time? - I can then set it to monitor after 01:00 and change the Regex to collect the entirety of each step

2 - Is it possible to get LI to combine multiple events based on a field or set an alert to send an alert based on a query + the previous 5 events?

Regards,

Anthony

0 Kudos
0 Replies