VMware Cloud Community
roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Active Directory integration deprecated in Log Insight 4.5+

Hi All,

As you might know, Active Directory integration has been deprecated in Log Insight 4.5+ - VMware vRealize Log Insight 4.5 Release Notes​.

I was wondering if VMware had any plans to add support for vCenter Single Sign-On as an authentication source in the future releases of the product. It makes sense when Log Insight is used only for collecting events from vSphere.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

A blog post went live tonight as well: VMware Identity Manager (vIDM) for Log Insight - VMware Cloud Management

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===

View solution in original post

17 Replies
HywelBurris
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is causing us some issues too and SSO would have been a viable option, as we already have it. We're just coming to the end of a project with LI and now we've got to design and implement vIDM and SQL clusters in order to get a resilient solution. I have opened a SR on this and they are suggesting that I post here to try and get the roadmap for the product. I understand why the AD integration isn't the future but to just drop it like they have, with no notification period, isn't great for us customers.

Regards,

roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi HywelBurris​,

Thank you for providing your feedback.

It's quite interesting to read that GSS pointed to the community instead of escalating the SR to the product team directly.

Despite the fact that AD integration is still available in LI 4.5 (however, it is not supported), I completely agree about the notification period.

I hope that someone from LI product team can comment on this.

Regards,

sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

For feature requests like vCenter SSO authentication, I would recommend opening a feature request on http://loginsight.vmware.com. If you are interested in roadmap information and you are under NDA please contact your local TAM/SE for scheduling.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, Steve!

This feature has been already requested by one of the users -  http://loginsight.vmware.com/a/idea-v2/215392 . What is required to make it a high priority?

Regards,

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

More votes Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
joebenga
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So unless my research is wrong IDM is additional purchased product.

I am sorry, but I am  going  to be blunt here. This is the first time I have been extremely disappointed in LogInsight Product since it's  conception. This seems like nothing more then then a blatant move to force the purchase of additional VMWare Products(Especially with no vCenter SSO consideration). When this change was discuss internally; was your VSPP license holders considered? We leverage the bundle deal to add extra wins on top of the product, and for the great pricing. That seems to go out the window if IDM will be required.

Sure you want to get rid of integrated AD in the product that fine, but for the only solution to be IDM is unacceptable in my eyes. Maybe I being a little dramatic, but as large enterprise and us incorporating all our companies under a single central stack. This effects how we deploy and if we should still deploy with loginsight.

sorry for the tone but, i guess I am "kinda" confused by this move.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

VIDM is free with LI.

roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

Does VIDM free for Log Insight for vCenter too?

Regards,

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, VIDM is free with LI for VC as well

joebenga
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank You very much for the response and again sorry for the tone of my post.

0 Kudos
roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

Would it be possible to have a reference to the official statement (LI 4.5 release notes?) about VIDM being free for LI users?

Also, despite the fact of VIDM being free for LI users, it shows the following message in My VMware:

"You either are not entitled or do not have permissions to download this product.

Check with your My VMware Super User, Procurement Contact or Administrator.

If you recently purchased this product through VMware Store or through a third-party, try downloading later."

Could you help with resolving this issue?

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hmm it worked for me -- let me escalate this and see what is going on. As for an official statement, I am not sure why exists -- I do not believe one exists for vRA either. I will ask and see what can be done.

0 Kudos
roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, Steve! Please keep us posted about your findings.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Release notes have been updated to reflect that VIDM is free. Still looking into entitlement issue.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

A blog post went live tonight as well: VMware Identity Manager (vIDM) for Log Insight - VMware Cloud Management

roman79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great news! Thank you for helping with getting this information confirmed, Steve! Although, it would be nice to have LI integration with vCenter SSO in the next releases.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hot off the press -- native AD is now supported in LI 4.5. KB and release notes have been updated. Recommendation is still to move to VIDM, but AD can still be used.