VMware Cloud Community
sharifat
Contributor
Contributor

vcenter has unusable lable through orchestrator client

Hi

I have problem by accessing vcenter through orchestrator client. vcenter has "(unusable) localhost" lable under vcenter plug-in, when I run a workflow and search for example to find a VM to clone or so.

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi (and welcome to the community),

Could you provide a bit more info, eg. versions/build numbers of vCenter and vCO, installation type (appliance, standalone Windows installation or installation as part of full vCenter installation), operating system, etc.

Also, are there any errors/exceptions in the log files?

-Ilian

0 Kudos
sharifat
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thank you Ilian for reply, requested information is as follow:

Vcenter Server 5.1.0 Build 880146 VCO installed silently with Vcenter in Windows server 2008 R2

I can't find the location of log files to search in.

Thanks

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think default locations of vCO log files are:

• vCO server -> C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Orchestrator\app-server\server\vmo\log\
  • vCO Configurator -> C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Orchestrator\configuration\jetty\logs\
  • vCO Java Client -> C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\Orchestrator\apps\
0 Kudos
sharifat
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Ilian Iliev

I found log files in the locations you mentioned, and tried to find Errors or Exceptions as you asked, there was many log files and some of them big one, there was Errors and Exceptions too, I don't know which one would be useful for finding the problem. just to give more info, vcenter SQL 2008  is located in another windows 2008 VM. I'm going to install another vcenter server with local SQL express and try with it. I deleted and added again the vcenter server in VCO config page, it added successfully and I can see the same name in VCO client in inventory tab, but unfortunately vcenter has (unusable) localhost label and therefore can't be expanded to see other objects of vcenter like VMs, is there any configuration should I do in vcenter to enable a correct communication between VCO and vcenter?

Best Regards.

Sharifat

0 Kudos
sharifat
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Ilian Iliev

I installed a fresh test vcenter with SQL express and added a HOST in it, now everything is ok and I can see my host objects in VCO inventory, I don't know it is related to external SQL 2008(in another VM) or something else, I will continue posting if I found new reason.

Best Regards.

Sharifat

0 Kudos
sharifat
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

My friend checked it in another site with SQL & Vcenter in the same VM, the problem exists there too, may be it is a common mistake by configuring SQL & Vcenter server as both sites was installed by the same person, when SQL(Express) & Vcenter server installed and configured automatically, there isn't any problem.

Best Regards.

Sharifat

0 Kudos
sharifat
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ilian Iliev

I didn't get any more post from you, anyway I upgraded the local SQL express to full version and everything is ok now, then it should be some configuration mistake during installation of vcenter and SQL server that I don't know yet, I should study "vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-511-installation-setup-guide" again to find out the mistake.

Best Regards.

Sharifat

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Glad you resolved the issue.

BTW, are you in VMware intranet? If yes, it would be good if you can give us an access to VM with failed installation so we can investigate what has gone wrong.

0 Kudos
sharifat
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ilian Iliev

Unfortunately we are not in VMware intranet, do you agree with installation of vcenter with SQL server express and then upgrading to full version of SQL, it is much easier to setup.

Best Regards.

Sharifat

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Upgrading to full SQL version could be problematic for some customers (licensing costs, etc.). Installation should work out of the box with both SQL express and full, on the same or different machine.

If you want, you can open an official support request ticket.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I think the unusable label is because of the fact that the credentials used to login into the orchestrator client is not valid for logging into the vCenter. (You can check this by trying to log into the vCenter Server using the credentials used in the orchestrator client.) The easy way to overcome this problem is to add a user to the vCenter with the same credentials that are used to login into the orchestrator.

0 Kudos
sunilsjk
Contributor
Contributor

I also face the same issue, please find the steps here I followed to screw up my setup Smiley Sad

1) Installed VRA and added vCenter as Endpoint.

2) the Default windows vCenter got corrupted due the OS related issues.

3) Now I Installed new VSCA 6.5 and added as a new vsphere end point(added new proxy agent for the same).

4) now every thing is working except the vRO work flows on vRO client.

5) vCenter has unusable lable through orchestrator client

----

1. VRA OS provisioning is working

2. vROps configured with now VC, working fine and able to provide the health matrix for VRA

3. vRB configured with new VC and get the showback details..

4. AD day2 work flows working...

5. But unable to create vCenter related Day2 workflows and vCenter has unusable lable through orchestrator client

Don't know if I miss some steps for configuring second vCenter with VRO..

0 Kudos
sunilsjk
Contributor
Contributor

See the similar thread here and Ilian Iliev given some solution.

vCenter marked as unusable since upgrade to 7.1