VMware Cloud Community
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

vRealize Orchestrator in a home lab, embedded db OK?

I'm planning to setup (or at least attempt to set up) a vRO VM/instance in my home test lab shortly. I have a vCenter Server appliance as well as a vRealize Operations Manager appliance already online there. I'm going to assume in this use case, going with the embedded PostgreSQL database won't be an issue. Right?

At present, my vCSA is 6.7, the host is 6.5 (not sure what update level right now), and not 100% sure what version the vRealize Operations Manger appliance is (I'm not in front of the setup right now). Once I am able to update my host hardware (plus get a second host) I'll be able to deploy the vRA appliance as well (it's planned, just need to gather the funds to do it).

At this point, I just want to kick around vRO to play with it. Mostly so I can learn more about it and set up some testing workflows. That way I know more about it before I move to implement in a work environment.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, there's no problem using the internal postgres database inside the vRO appliance. In fact, it's preferred as external database support is deprecated and will probably be removed in the next version.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, there's no problem using the internal postgres database inside the vRO appliance. In fact, it's preferred as external database support is deprecated and will probably be removed in the next version.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I did see that about a coming version not using anything but PostgreSQL. I don't recall if it was mentioned about using an external PostgreSQL at that point or if it should/would be the embedded.

I'll see about getting the appliance deployed in the next few days (next week at the latest) so I can kick it around.

I like what I saw at the VTUG Summer Slam breakout seesion concerning vRO.

0 Kudos