VMware Cloud Community
satoshi_goto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRO client doesn't launch in JRE 10

With JRE 10, vRO client can't start after login prompt.

vro_jre10.png

vso.log in my my Home directory says it fail to load a class my Home directory.

2018-10-10 14:53:16.831+0900 INFO  [Application] Using built-in log4j configuration

2018-10-10 14:53:16.842+0900 ERROR [VSOUIUtils] Could not load NimbusLookAndFeel: com.sun.java.swing.plaf.nimbus.NimbusLookAndFeel

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.java.swing.plaf.nimbus.NimbusLookAndFeel

at jdk.deploy@10.0.2/com.sun.deploy.security.DeployURLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at jdk.javaws@10.0.2/com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at jdk.javaws@10.0.2/com.sun.jnlp.JNLPClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingUtilities.loadSystemClass(Unknown Source)

at java.desktop/javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(Unknown Source)

at ch.dunes.vso.plaf.VSOUIUtils.setVCONimbusLookAndFeel(VSOUIUtils.java:154)

at ch.dunes.vso.app.VSOApplication.setApplicationProperties(VSOApplication.java:238)

at ch.dunes.vso.app.VSOApplication.main(VSOApplication.java:201)

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at jdk.javaws@10.0.2/com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)

at jdk.javaws@10.0.2/com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)

at jdk.javaws@10.0.2/com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)

at jdk.javaws@10.0.2/com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

My environments:

- macOS 10.12.6

- JRE 10.0.2

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

There were some changes in Java 9/10/11 (like introduction of modules, API changes/etc.) that make vRO client incompatible with them. So the officially supported client Java version is version 8.

This should be addressed in the next vRO release where (hopefully) the new HTML5 client will have functional parity with the current Java client.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

There were some changes in Java 9/10/11 (like introduction of modules, API changes/etc.) that make vRO client incompatible with them. So the officially supported client Java version is version 8.

This should be addressed in the next vRO release where (hopefully) the new HTML5 client will have functional parity with the current Java client.

satoshi_goto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks,

I'm looking forwarding to your new HTML5 client.

I also worry about that you have a plan to support vRO Java REST SDK for Java SE 9 or later.

Using the Java REST SDK

In my environment, I somehow work adding Java library dependencies in compile:

(pom.xml style)

<dependency>

<groupId>javax.xml.ws</groupId>

<artifactId>jaxws-api</artifactId>

<version>2.3.0</version>

</dependency>

<dependency>

<groupId>com.sun.xml.wsn</groupId>

<artifactId>jaxws-ri</artifactId>

<version>2.3.0</version>

</dependency>

<dependency>

<groupId>com.sun.activation</groupId>

<artifactId>javax.activation</artifactId>

<version>1.2.0</version>

</dependency>

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

When and how we will move beyond Java 8 is not a purely technical issue. It probably needs to be discussed and agreed globally within the company, which will take time.

In any case, it doesn't make sense to support Java 9 or 10, as these two are now out of support; they are superseded by Java 11 which is the current LTS release. So after Java 8 we'll need to move directly to Java 11.

BTW, Java 11 removes some modules that are considered part of other stacks, like Corba and Java EE. The library dependencies shown by you are examples of stuff that was part of core Java until recently and that is now removed, forcing the applications to add additional dependencies.

0 Kudos
satoshi_goto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When and how we will move beyond Java 8 is not a purely technical issue.

It probably needs to be discussed and agreed globally within the company, which will take time.

I understand a little of your company's situation.

However, I need to plan to upgrade our servers to Java 9+ (vRealize Orchestrator servers and webapp servers which use vRO Java REST SDK) .

I'd like to know WHEN you show the plan beyond Java 8.

Is it before January 2019 (is Commercial User End of Public Updates Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap ) ?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK, for this kind of official information you may want to contact your VMware representative.

VMTN community forums are a place to share knowledge and answer technical questions. They are not the proper place to ask for and receive official information about new products, product roadmap, etc.

0 Kudos
satoshi_goto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMTN community forums are a place to share knowledge and answer technical questions. They are not the proper place to ask for and receive official information about new products, product roadmap, etc.

All right, I send this question through My VMware.

Thanks iiliev​ .

0 Kudos