VMware Cloud Community
nef_user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRO 8 - Variables of type Any and NULL value

Hi guys,

I've noticed that when I have a variable of type Any and I do not set the value there are differences of behavior from vRO 7.x and vRO 8. At vRO 7.x a variable of type Any with value not set is = NULL. At vRO 8 the value is not NULL. This diference is making some workflows stop working. For example, the workflow Clone, Linux with Single NIC, has a variable "options" that I needed to set at a scriptable task to NULL to make the workflow works.

Is this an expected behavior? Can someone reproduce this behavior?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you create a variable of type Any in the legacy client, its value is implicitly set to NULL (without alerting the user). The new client simply creates the variable, but doesn't initialize it to NULL or some other value.

This is indeed different behavior. Not sure this change was intentional or not; will ask around in case some of UI devs knows.

0 Kudos
nef_user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

This behavior is only different with variables of type Any. if you have a variable of type Vc:VirtualMachine, for example, it is implicitly set to NULL. In my opinion it looks not intentional, because this behavior is making some native workflows from Orchestrator stop working.

0 Kudos
nef_user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi llian,

Did you discovered something about this behavior?

thanks.

0 Kudos
dweber
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

Did you find a workaround to fix this behaviour ?

I have quite the same experience with a newly installed appliance 8.1.0.

I am currently running orchestrator appliance version 8.1.0 and a lot of "default" or "builtin" workflow don't run because I didn't define a value for the variable with "type" like VC:Virtual Machine or VC:Storage ... I am quite confused by this bug.

That seems pretty stupid that even buildin workflows are broken atm.

Thks for the  community'shelp

nef_user
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm adding a scriptable task at the beginning of each workflow with this problem and setting the value to NULL. This is fixing the issue, but is quite annoying that I need to clone built in workflows and to do this in order to have they working.

0 Kudos
jesse_cohen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah the fix I used was to clone and comment out whatever I wasn't using instead of passing NULL values.  This really is annoying.  I get making you create a variable instead of just passing NULL, but at least set that to NULL.

0 Kudos
Phil1020
Contributor
Contributor

anyone had any update on this? i'm getting the same issue as above

0 Kudos