ntgdcs
Contributor
Contributor

vCO 5.5 vim3WaitDnsNameInTools and vim3WaitToolsStarted issue

Jump to solution

Hi,

We have recently upgraded from vCO 5.1 to 5.5 and since the upgrade we are experiencing a problem with vim3WaitDnsNameInTools and vim3WaitToolsStarted actions.

Since the upgrade, when using either of these actions in a VM clone workflow, they fail to register a change in the VMTools status on the guest and eventually reach the defined timeout. If the same action is executed again in the same workflow immediately after the time out is reached, it is successful (Assuming because VMTools is already started).

Interestingly, if I use the vim3WaitDnsNameInTools or vim3WaitToolsStarted actions in a workflow which isnt part of a clone operation (ie. I power off a VM, start the workflow and then power on the VM) the actions work correctly.

This same issue occurs in a fresh install of vCO 5.5, and can be replicated in sample workflow that is installed with vCO. (Clone, Windows Sysprep with single NIC and credential)

Has anyone else come across this issue and if so, how were you able to correct it? Any suggestions on other places to look to try determine the exact cause would be helpful. I've tried increasing the level of logging in vCO but the only event that is logged in relation to this is when the action times out.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you tried with this update ?Technical Preview Version of VMware vCenter Orchestrator Plug-In for VMware vSphere 5.5.1

It may fix this issue. If not I would advise opening a GSS request to get it fixed.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
paugie
Contributor
Contributor

I fought with this one for a while too, among other issues with 5.5 VCO.  I found that the problem went away after I upgraded the tools/hardware of my base images.  I can't guarantee that it was the only thing I changed in getting 5.5 up and working, but that was definitely one of the fixes for me.

0 Kudos
spyder94
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever find a satisfactory resolution to this issue?  I'm currently experiencing exactly the same problem.  The suggestion of upgrading tools / hardware didn't make any difference.

0 Kudos
paugie
Contributor
Contributor

No, I can't say what is going on in this version of VCO, but it's pretty bad.  I get random failures in my provisioning workflow, but then if I go re-run them everything is fine.  Every 5 or so failures I get this issue inside of the stock clone/customize windows workflow, so I can't say that it's entirely fixed for me.

I'm really hoping that they have an update for VCO whenever 5.5U1 comes out, this release is poor.

0 Kudos
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you tried with this update ?Technical Preview Version of VMware vCenter Orchestrator Plug-In for VMware vSphere 5.5.1

It may fix this issue. If not I would advise opening a GSS request to get it fixed.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
0 Kudos
paugie
Contributor
Contributor

You know, I had completely forgotten about that change.  I had installed "o11nplugin-vsphere-5.5.0-282" in order to fix the issue where pulling in a list of resources from VC was unacceptably slow, in our case it was the list of datastores and templates.

I would bet that installing the '282' verison of the plugin improved the behavior a lot.  I'll be trying this one out right now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
spyder94
Contributor
Contributor

We will also give the new plugin a try this afternoon.  If it only improves the performance of loading the object lists from vCenter then it'll be worth the effort of trying it.

0 Kudos
spyder94
Contributor
Contributor

Seems the new version of the plugin has corrected this problem.  Performance is MUCH improved as well.  Thanks for the suggestion cdecanini_!

0 Kudos
sawakine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I gave a try to the pulgin this morning, the performan is much better, no latence. But it doesn't solve the problems I had with the vim3WaitTaskEnd#20 everytime I use workflows that can customiz the network configurations like "Clone, Linux with single nic" It always came out with the same error : "Task 'CloneVM_Task' error: A specified parameter was not correct. spec.identity.hostName (Dynamic Script Module name : vim3WaitTaskEnd#20)"

I start losing hope in the ability to configure the network in order to give IP adress and DNS to the VM I am trying to clone Smiley Sad

0 Kudos