VMware Cloud Community
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

clone and sysprep workflow with datastore clusters and thin/thick provisining options

My deployment workflow has been working great for several months now (thanks to everyone here who helped) but it's time to make a few adjustments.

I'm thinking I might have to rework everything but just wanted to check in case I'm missing something...

Right now I'm using the built-in clone, sysprep with crendentials and 1 nic workflow.

I would like the ability to specify thin/thick provisioning and the ability to use datastore clusters and a vDS instead of a standard one.

I don't quite understand how the network/sysprep stuff works in the workflow I'm using now but from what I can tell, I'll need to duplicate the clone, windows with single nic and credentials workflow then hack it and use the info from this post: https://communities.vmware.com/message/2141906#2141906  to use a datastore cluster.

From looking at the CloneVM action (there's two as I discovered), one seems to accept a thin/thick option so I believe I can use that to try and build my "spec".

From a VDS, I did a quick test and it seems I can select it by name just like I do now using the built-in action as long as I add the (vDS_Switch_Name) after it as that's part of the name it wants to find.

So.... before I rework everything, is there an easier way or am I stuck? Smiley Happy

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChristianWehner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi FreddyFredFred,

cause you want to do some adjustments there is no easier way to do this than to use custom workflows. The set of workflows within the Library will work for 80% of the simple work but if you want something special or more specific you have to built your own workflows/actions. You only have an alternative to vCO: Use vCAC for your provisioning, which could do few deployment options and specific stuff integrated.

To your questions: you can use the info from the post you found to deploy to a sdrs cluster and also to use thin/thick provisioning. For networking you have to use a VcDistributedVirtualSwitchPortConnection on your network card where you provide the switchUuid and the portgroupKey of the PortGroup you want your VM connected to.

Regards

0 Kudos