VMware Cloud Community
rschelling
Contributor
Contributor

VCO service start fails after enabling JMX monitoring.

Hello,

we are running VCO 4.1 on a Windows 2008 64Bit machine. In order to monitor the JVM heap size usage of the server we wanted to enable JMX monitoring. We set the VCO startup parameters as described on the web page http://www.vcoteam.info/learn-vco/monitoring-the-vcenter-orchestrator-java-virtual-machine.html.

After the JMX settings were added to the VCO configuration the start of the VCO service failed. Unfortunately no logs are written. Hence, I guess the error occurs very early in the startup phase.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Roland

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can try to add these in orchestrator.bat and run in from command prompt instead start it as a service to see any error messages not printed in the logs. I personally use jconsole for simple monitoring purposes - in orchestrator.sh (I work on mac) I add this line

JCONSOLE="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=17777 -Djavax.management.builder.initial=org
.jboss.system.server.jmx.MBeanServerBuilderImpl -Djboss.platform.mbeanserver"
and also
JAVA_OPTS=" ... $JCONSOLE"
If I run jconsole on the same machine as vco I am able to attach to the process without the settings given above.
0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership

Hi!

Do you see something in the boot.log?

the server.log only starts as soon as the log4j-system is initialized during boot-process.

You might also try: Start the vCO server not via Windows-Services, but manually from cmd.exe. (there should be a run.bat-script in \app-server\bin ) Then you hopefully get some messages in the console.

Cheers,

Joerg

0 Kudos
tschoergez
Leadership
Leadership

Damn! Too late again :smileyangry:

@Daniel, did you get Christophe's workflow for that? http://communities.vmware.com/message/2015237#2015237

:smileylaugh::smileylaugh::smileylaugh:

Cheers,

Joerg

0 Kudos
rschelling
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

thanks for the hint about starting VCO from the command line via bat file. Finally I was able to activate JMX for the VCO server and could also login via jconsole. However, I still have one question.

Why are all tabs in jconsole disabled except the MBeans tab. I usually use the Memory tab to check the heap and garbage collection.

Any idea why these tabs are disabled?

Thx

0 Kudos
dvatov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I do not have clue. It happend to me also but I do not remember doing something special to enable it.

Regards

0 Kudos