VMware Cloud Community
smithgp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Show user-localized text in forms?

Is there any way in vCO to configure a workflow to have the input parameters' display labels localized to the user's locale? E.g. If they have their system set to German, I can configure something on the workflow to specify what German text to display; otherwise they get English.

From the documentation, it doesn't sound like this is possible, but I figured I ask here to make sure.

Thanks,

Greg

0 Kudos
6 Replies
cdecanini_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can right click on a workflow and create localization resources. Then I guess the next step is to export the localization bundle. Unzip / edit. Rezip, import / validate.

I never did it but this is what I would try.

If my answer resolved or helped you, please mark it as Correct or Helpful to award points. Thank you! Visit http://www.vcoteam.info & http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for vCenter Orchestrator tips and tutorials - @vCOTeam on Twitter
smithgp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I missed that in the vCO client.

So, I tried that just now, and I updated the resources (export, edit the .properties files, import), but it doesn't seem to use them (or at least the en and en_US ones) when I run the workflow from within the vCO client.

That's kind of minor, though, since I'm actually really trying to expose my workflows in vCAC as ASD Service Blueprints. I posted a different question in that forum -- Show user-localized text in Advanced Service Designer forms?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Localization is supported in REST API and products that use vRO REST API (such as vSphere Web Client).

You need to pass the desired locale in Accept-Language HTTP header; for example Accept-Language: de-DE or Accept-Language: en-US for German or English localization, respectively.

vCAC/ASD also use vRO REST API but I'm not sure if they pass this HTTP header.

0 Kudos
smithgp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That makes sense.

From my experiment with vCAC, it would appear that vCAC/ASD does call the vRO REST API at vCAC form creation time, and either doesn't pass along the Accept-Language header from the browser or specifically sends 'en' (or maybe just send whatever the locale is set on the vCAC VA making the http request); and, additionally, vCAC doesn't seem to refetch the description from vCO if a different browser language is used later. Hopefully, someone in the vCAC forum will verify on that forum post I made about that part of the issue.

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I spoke with one of ASD developers. He said that passing of correct Accept-Language header should work in vCAC 6.2 and that there are some issues with previous vCAC version(s) so most likely it doesn't work there..

smithgp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just retried this in vCAC 6.2, and it's a little closer to working, but still not right. Now, in the vCAC UI, when I create the catalog item pointing to the workflow in vCO, vCAC does appear to send along my browser's Accept-Language and gets back the localization text correctly from vCO. However, it then must dump that localized form text into a database or something, because when I later request the catalog item in vCAC, it ignores the browser's language. E.g. if I create the catalog item while set to German, at request time, the form will always show the German text, no matter what my browser's language.

So, it does appear vCAC fixed their design time call-out to vCO to do the right thing (and vCO is working correctly there), but the vCAC runtime call-outs aren't there or aren't working.

Greg

0 Kudos