VMware Cloud Community
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Register vCenter VM in VRA without Data-Collection

Hi Community,

just wondering if there is any replacement for the depricated (and no longer functional as well) vRO Workflow "Register a vCenter Virtual Machine". It used to created the required model data in the vRA database but since it's no longer working one would have to run a full data-collection just to for example use the "Import vCenter Virtual Machine" workflow.

Any "official" way around this without data-collection?

Greetings

Robert

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
cac3a
Contributor
Contributor

I second this question as in vco the workflow says 'Register a vCenter Virtual Machine (deprecated)' then the description says that we should Register a vCenter Virtual Machine instead.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
cac3a
Contributor
Contributor

bump bump
0 Kudos
rszymczak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry had no time for this yet. But I checked the database and it should be compleatly possible using the entity manager. This said: in vRO 7 the vRA 7 plugin has many functions of the entity manger disabled (VMware dosn't want us to mess with the database while they prepare to dump it - I guess they want "smooth" migrations without any side-effects). However, you can disable those vRA7 plugin restrictions.

So, whatever you do: it will be only a temporary workflow which will stop working when IAAS finally dies. So before we start hacking stuff that will be thrown away within probably the next 12-24 months or so, we better should wait. I'm sure once the IAAS component is killed we'll get a new way of importing VMs.

If they implement it as I hope they'll use the central PSC which could potentially mean the end of data-collection. This would make alot of things way easier.

0 Kudos