VMware Cloud Community
PeteDk
Contributor
Contributor

PowerShell plugin for vCO (Windows and Kerberos)

Hi,

I've installed the powershell plugin (1.0.1) for vCO (5.5). Now I'm trying to add a powershell host to the plugin (with the workflow available).

When I try I get the error: Cannot locate default realm : addPowerShellHost#16

I've set up WINRM. We have vCO on a windows machine. We're going to be using Kerberos authentication.

I've created the krb5.conf file in /jre/lib/security , I am however wondering about Java? There was no folder named jre or lib in the Orchestrator installation folder? So I've created those folders myself.

jre I know is Java. Do i need to install something?? Not one of the guides I've read has mentioned it.

/Pete

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChristianWehner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Pete,

I think the correct path is: /usr/java/jre-vmware/lib/security/ to place your krb5.conf file.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
PeteDk
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply Chris, however we're using windows so I'm guessing the path should be something else. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ChristianWehner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Of course, on Windows it should be: C:\Program Files\VMware\Orchestrator\jre\lib\security

Cheers Chris

0 Kudos
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Note that the latest version of hte plugin is 1.0.4

VMware vCenter Orchestrator Plug-In for Microsoft Windows PowerShell Release Notes

I will suggest to use this one since there is support for Powershell v4

0 Kudos
k4t4
Contributor
Contributor

My krb5.conf file is located in /etc/ folder on VCO 5.5.0 appliance.

PowerShell Plugin v1.0.4 is compatible only with VCO 5.5.1.

"Orchestrator Plug-In for Microsoft Windows PowerShell 1.0.4 uses the new plug-in configuration API and is not compatible with vCenter Orchestrator versions earlier than 5.5.1."

Source: https://www.vmware.com/support/orchestrator/doc/powershell-plugin-104-release-notes.html

Br,

Catalin

0 Kudos
igaydajiev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In this case not sure if you have checked this article for 5.5

http://blog.mwpreston.net/2013/12/12/kerberos-authentication-for-the-powershell-plugin-in-vco-5-5/

And a bit older version working on  vCO 5.5. Keep in mind that this one will not support PowerShell v4.

VMware vCenter Orchestrator Plug-In for Microsoft Windows PowerShell Release Notes

0 Kudos