VMware Cloud Community
mcfadyenj
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

INTERNAL ERROR 500

Hi all,

I have been using a pretty bog standard "instantiate a vapp template" workflow now for sometime. Occassionally I get an internal error 500 issue which seems to be a generic failure.

More recently I have started looping of deployment which means that as I am running the workflow more often I am seeing more failures.

So my environment has 3 major components.

VCO VC VCD.

all of which appear to be functioning fine, all work 95% of the time. I am just seeing this issue now due to the sheer volume of vApps being provisioned. Technically I can handle this by adding some form of retry count to the calling code. however I would like to dig a little deeper and see what the root cause of this issue is. perhaps this is an underlying infrastructure issue that I am missing somewhere.

Not really sure where this information will be logged, I guess its hidden in the depths of vCD somewhere. vCO certainly doesn't give any clear indication of location other than the 500 error code. I can rerun the same workflow again with no errors.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Error 500 is an indication for some unhandled server error. Any clues/exception stack traces in vCO server logs?

0 Kudos
mcfadyenj
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Actually digging deeper there is a solid clue.

Row was updated or deleted by another transaction (or unsaved-value mapping was incorrect): [com.vmware.vcloud.common.model.VAppModel#648b4c66-b43a-42d2-8025-3709bf01f307]; majorErrorCode=500; minorErrorCode=INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR; vendorSpecificErrorCode=null; (Workflow:Wait for a task / Throw exception (item5)#1) Value = Row was updated or deleted by another transaction (or unsaved-value mapping was incorrect): [com.vmware.vcloud.common.model.VAppModel#648b4c66-b43a-42d2-8025-3709bf01f307]; majorErrorCode=500; minorErrorCode=INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR; vendorSpecificErrorCode=null; (Workflow:Wait for a task / Throw exception (item5)#1)

I guess this pertains to a internal state issue.

Ilian Iliev wrote:

Error 500 is an indication for some unhandled server error. Any clues/exception stack traces in vCO server logs?

0 Kudos
mcfadyenj
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I found this as a similar reference

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/426903

I am really hoping this is not the case for me but it looks similar. I am making large amounts of VCO to VCD calls when this fails. 95% of the time it works fine.

I haven't dug too deep into the VCO-VCD communication I would however make the assumption it is rest based. I guess I will need to start pulling apart all that VCD plugin content to determine this 😞

0 Kudos
mcfadyenj
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

one other important piece of information is how I am handling the connection object from the api.

connect

do something

do something

do something

disconnect

based on the above post I guess I might have more luck trying this.

connect

do something

disconnect

connect

do something

disconnect

0 Kudos
alazarov
Contributor
Contributor

Open a SR case please.

0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you care sharing the update on the SR request please if possible the SR number - i am facing this in 5.5 and having the SR number i can give it to our VMWARE technical account manager for reference.

Thanks a lot

RJ

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos