VMware Cloud Community
legioon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am getting an error while running workflow named "vCloud Director - Add a Gateway" on vCO.

Hello,

I have vCloud Director 8.10.1 and vRealize Orchestrator 7.0.1 on my environment.

I have installed vCloud Director Plugin on vCO successfully and I can run any workflow about vCloud Director such as Create Organization, Create VDC or anything else. But i am getting following error while running Edge Gateway creation workflow ;

Cannot convert compact to com.vmware.vmo.plugin.vcloud.model.schema.objects.GatewayInterfaces (Dynamic Script Module name : createGatewayConfiguration#4)

I ran this worflow on other vCloud Director environment for test purpose but getting same error.

Do you have any idea about this error ?

Thanks.

8 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Could you provide the exact version/build number of vCloud plug-in? Also, the versions of action createGatewayConfiguration and workflow Add a gateway? Did you have a previous version of the vCloud plug-in that is updated, or this is a clean installation of vCloud plug-in?

Usually, such kind of error means that the scripting action has been called with a parameter which type is not the expected one. This could happen eg. if some code has been refactored and action got its parameter list changed, but the code that calls the action hasn't been updated properly.

0 Kudos
legioon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi llian,

vCloud Director and vRO are fresh installation as well, not upgrade. vCloud Director Plugin is supported for VCD version what i'm using.

vclouddownload.PNG

I checked createGatewayConfiguration action and its look like normal. Also, I checked variable type of GatewayBackingConfig, and i changed it as vCloud:GatewayBackingConfigValuesType for testing purpose. But, nothing has changed. insomuch that I edited action object deep dive,

createbackingconfig.PNG

I have installed NSX plugin on vRO and registred NSX endpoint, Also i registred vCenter. I tried a lot of thing, I started to think it was a BUG. Smiley Sad

What is your advise ?

0 Kudos
bayupw
Leadership
Leadership

What is the NSX version?

Is the workflow creating a new NSX Edge Gateway?
Can you perform a successful creation of NSX Edge Gateway from vCloud Director?

Just for double check, to be able to create NSX Edge from vCD, you would need the NSX & its VXLAN prepared, Provider VDC created - which will create a network pool, an NSX Transport Zone ProviderVDCName-VXLAN-NP then manually changed the Transport Zone to Unicast if you need Unicast as the default is Multicast, then create External Network, Organization, Organization VDC, allocate resources to Org VDC, then you would be able to create NSX Edge Gateway

Bayu Wibowo | VCIX6-DCV/NV
Author of VMware NSX Cookbook http://bit.ly/NSXCookbook
https://github.com/bayupw/PowerNSX-Scripts
https://nz.linkedin.com/in/bayupw | twitter @bayupw
0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Version 8.x of vCloud plug-in is developed and supported by vCloud team, so you may want to post this question also in vCloud community forum.

BTW, the error is thrown on line 4 which is not the line you changed but the next one - result["gatewayInterfaces"] = gatewayInterfacesArg; 

0 Kudos
legioon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Bayu,

NSX version is 6.2.4.

I can create Edge Gateway via vCloud Director  as you can see at below ;

edgegateway.PNG

networkpool.PNG

All NSX configuration and vcloud director has done such as VXLAN, Transport zone, organization, provider vdc, org vdc, ext network etc....

I can use vCloud Director all functions with NSX. Just I cannot create Edge Gateway using Orchestrator workflow.

0 Kudos
optima1326
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

I was able to solve same problem by creating my own copy of "Add a Gateway" workflow and clicking "Synchronize parameters" on "createGatewayConfiguration" action in scheme.

It seems that out-of-box "Add a Gateway" workflow scheme is out of sync with changed input parameters of createGatewayConfiguration action, which causes wrong parameters order and count to be passed to action.

I really clicked "Synchronize parameters" on every action in my copy of workflow, to make sure there is no other differences.

I'm using 8.0 version of plugin with 8.0 vCloud Director, so not sure the same works for 8.10, but still worth a try.

marvinmartian
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me on 8.2. I had to sync all parameters and it worked fine after that.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
sergioSoliveira
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting some error, I've try sync parameters of all action without sucess, fresh new installation:

vCloudDirector: 9.1

vCO: 7.5

vCloudDirector plugin: 8.10

[2018-10-16 16:01:16.813] [E] Workflow execution stack:

item: 'Add a gateway/item25', state: 'failed', business state: 'null', exception: 'Cannot convert compact to com.vmware.vmo.plugin.vcloud.model.schema.objects.GatewayInterfaces (Dynamic Script Module name : createGatewayConfiguration#4)'

|  'attribute': name=backingConfig type=string value=compact

--workflow: 'Add a gateway' (1b71d7b1-3e64-4e80-b6ae-092a40fef60d)

*** End of execution stack.

0 Kudos