VMware Cloud Community
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Find the vRA vCACCAFE:CatalogItemRequest associated with a vCAC:VirtualMachine deployment

I've been trying to figure out how I grab the request associated with a IaaS deployment.  Once the resource is created there is a binding id so I can use the cafe entities finder to search on the host name then filter the results to find the one that matches the binding ID.  I'm having difficulty trying to link the something to the request though.  I need to grab the requestedFor information.  It doesn't seem to be part of the vCAC:VirtualMachine properties or extended properties and I need it during deployment so I can't grab the owner off of the catalog resource because it doesn't exist yet.  I am hoping to snag it from the request since the information is there.  If anyone has figured this out I'd sure appreciate a code snippet.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What version of VRA are you using and what are you trying to accomplish with the requested for?

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vRA 6.2.4 and vRO 6.0.4 .  I need the requested for user to correctly register the system into our configuration management tool prior to the system coming online. 

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
eoinbyrne
Expert
Expert

Is the machine provisioned from the Machine Blueprint catalog item (so triggered in IaaS) or are you using XaaS to request the Machine catalog item (so triggered in vRO)?

The answer to that question gives the route you need to follow here as the info you want will be in different places depending on where you are in the processing chain.

If the former then you have to the following

1. IaaS extensibility to intercept the machine provisioning request and look for the VirtualMachine.Admin.Owner propertyin a vRO workflow

If the latter then you can get the id you want from the "asd_" attributes of the submitted workflow

In general, I tend to use XaaS to request Machine Catalog items as you can have all the gates, checks and cross-references done before the machine is even started + you can add your own info form downstream processing by putting data into your own custom properties

0 Kudos
qc4vmware
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When I examine the vCAC:VirtualMachine I do not see a property of VirtualMachine.Admin.Owner.  I do have these properties:

VirtualMachine.Admin.AgentID

VirtualMachine.Admin.HostIdentity

VirtualMachine.Admin.Hostname

VirtualMachine.Admin.TotalDiskUsage

I looked in the extended properties for the entity but I don't see it there either.  How are you extracting this property?  Can you provide code?

0 Kudos