VMware Cloud Community
adarobin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Customize virtual machine from properties - No Linux support?

The description and attributes for this workflow seem to imply that customizing Linux is supported by the workflow.  When I attempted to use it, I got the message "NotSupportedOsError: This workflow only support Windows and Linux OS".  This really confused me as I was trying to customize a RHEL 7 virtual machine.

I actually looked at the schema of the workflow and it will eventually fail if the OS is not Windows.  Is there something weird going on in my environment, or are the description, attributes, and error message of the workflow just misleading?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you share the customization input properties you use when starting the workflow? Looking at the workflow schema, it seems you can end up with this error end state when

1) there is no customization property with name starting with either "win" or "lin", or

2) there is at least one customization property starting with "lin", at least one starting with "nic1", and nothing starting with "win" and "nic2"

adarobin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am passing:

• vmSource
  • nic1SubnetMask
  • nic1IpAddress
  • nic1Gateway
  • nic1DnsServerList
  • nic1Dhcp
  • linDoSysprep
  • linClientName

Looking at the schema, it doesn't appear to be possible for a Linux machine to not throw an exception.

1. If I set Linux values with no network, I will throw an exception for errorCodeNumberOfNic.
  2. If I set Linux values with 1 network card, it throws errorCodeNotSuportOS.
  3. If there are 2 or more network cards with Windows or Linux, it throws errorCodeNumberOfNic.
0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Right, it appears the only normal non-error end state is reachable only if you customize Windows machine with 1 NIC. Not sure if this is by design, or it is a bug.

I'd suggest to duplicate the workflow and modify it to work properly for your case.

0 Kudos