VMware Cloud Community
clalulu
Contributor
Contributor

Custom Deployment in Incremental Resource Pool

Hi,

i am new on the Orchestrator environment and i would like to try a test.

I created on the Vrealize Automation a Blueprint to deploy X virtual machine (clone from template) with incremental prefix (vm1, vm2. vm3..).

No I need to create a workflow to deploy each vm's in the specific Resource Pool that I already created on the vCenter. Example vm1 in ResourcePool1, vm2 ResourcePool2 etc etc.

Any idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You can define a Resource Pool in a reservation, which you can then associate with a Reservation Policy and choose that at request time. You may not need to use vRO for this.

0 Kudos
clalulu
Contributor
Contributor

But in the reservation I can associate just 1 resource pool for each reservation policy. I need something incremental, like for cycle.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

What is it exactly you're trying to achieve with resource pools here? Can you explain about your use case?

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What about having a post-provisioning workflow that will move the newly deployed machine to the desired resource pool, similar to OOTB workflow 'Move virtual machine to resource pool' with some additional logic to determine the correct resource pool based eg. on the name of the provisioned machine?

0 Kudos
clalulu
Contributor
Contributor

iiliev Yes it is my case! if the machine finish with 1 example vm1 move to resource pool ResourcePool1

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check the attached workflow. It takes a single VM as an input parameter, tries to find a resource pool with a name matching your requirement, and then calls OOTB workflow to move the VM to the found resource pool.

You can use it as a base and extend it if necessary (ie. if more validation is needed).

0 Kudos
clalulu
Contributor
Contributor

I tested the workflow and works just to move the machine to one specific resource pool selected as input. But I have problem to customize the workflow for the incremental.

Can you help me?

I need just to modify the workflow and specify that every instance need to move in the resource pool "Student0x) with x incremental.

thanks

0 Kudos