VMware Cloud Community
QLD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Clone and Sysprep Workflow

Greetings all - thank God this forum exists  Smiley Happy

I've installed Orchestrator 5.5 appliance and used the workflow 'Clone, Windows Sysprep with Single Nic and credential'.  The end goal is to clone a template and join to a domain but I think it has a problem with the administrator password after the sysprep..

I created a Windows 2008R2 Template with vmtools installed and a default administrator password.  The workflow creates the clone and assigns the correct nic, picks up a dhcp address and seems to sysprep it ok as it receives a new hostname but it always stops at the new admin password at first logon after the sysprep restart and nothing happens after that.

I can see the sysprep.xml within c:\sysprep has been created and contains all the correct settings I entered into the workflow along with the guestcustutil.exe.  I read somewhere it might have issues passing an encrypted password but I can't see where to change the value to pass it as plain text? 

A few things to note:

The password contains letters and numbers only.

I did change the network from vc:network to vc:distributedvirtualportgroup which it seems to have issues validating but it still works ok.

The workflows stops at 'waiting for a dns name to be created' but I think the issue happens long before that with the admin password.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be super appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
QLD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just made some progress - I went back into the template and removed everything in the Panther and Temp folder then reran the workflow The workstation is now renamed along with its new admin password.

It hasn't joined the domain but I think I can take it from here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
QLD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just made some progress - I went back into the template and removed everything in the Panther and Temp folder then reran the workflow The workstation is now renamed along with its new admin password.

It hasn't joined the domain but I think I can take it from here.

0 Kudos
Devika18
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how did u join the domain?will you please help me out.I am facing the same issue..I am able to clone a vm,correct hostname and ip is assigned.But cloned vm doesnot join the domain.

0 Kudos