VMware Cloud Community
chadmichael
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Building vCO Packages with o11n-package Plugin

I'm starting to use the maven-011n-package-plugin, as found in the vCO Appliance's onboard Maven Repo or as obtained via the vCO Client's --> Package --> Expand to Folder functionality.  First of all, this is a very useful tool, however, the docs are very minimal.  And I have couple of questions Smiley Happy

1) Is it REQUIRED that when I build a package ( from the native XML ) I digitally sign it? 

2) Is there a library version of the functionality embedded in this Maven plugin?  Or can I get the source?  Just wondering whether I can do this without getting maven involved; we use gradle.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I think the signing is required and package build will fail if you do not provide keystore location and password.

On your second question - there is no library, but there is a command line tool which does package import/export. It can be found in the same Maven repo, under /com/vmware/o11n/tool/vco-cli-java/

Below is the list of commands it supports + some examples.

On Maven vs Gradle - currently, our tooling is focused around Maven. I'll check if we can also provide a Gradle plug-in.

-----------------------------

vCO Package import/export command line tool

Description:

Command line tool, that provides basic vCO package import and export operations. As source or target it can have either .package file, or directory.

Usage:

java <java-parameters> -jar PackageToolCli.jar <command> <command-parameters>

Commands:

These are the basic commands that tell the tool which operation to perform.

fi - file import

Imports package to vCO from .package file.

fe - file export

Exports vCO package to .package file.

di - directory import

Imports package to vCO from directory tree.

de - directory export

Exports vCO package to directory tree.

fd - file from directory

Creates .package file from directory tree.

Command Parameters:

The direct parameters that pertain to the specific command. Source or destination files or directories.

fi <filename>

<filename> - Name of the .package file to import.

fe <packagename> [<basedir>]

<packagename> - Name of the package to export.

<basedir> - Directory to which to export. If not specified, current directory is assumed.

di <basedir>

<basedir> - Directory from which to import.

de <packagename> [<basedir>]

<basedir> - Directory to which to export. If not specified, current directory is assumed.

fd <basedir>

<basedir> - Directory from which to build .package file.

Java Parameters:

Additional parameters that may be needed by the system, in order to perform the specific commands.

-DserverUrl=<user:password@serverurl>

URL and login of the vCO server against which the imports or exports will be performed.

-DallowedMask=<vef>

Access attributes of the package.

v - elements can be viewed

e - elements can be edited

f - elements can be forwarded in another package

-DkeystoreFileLocation=<path-to-vmokeystore-file>

Path to the .vmokeystore file that contains the development certificate

-DkeystorePassword=<vmokeystore-password>

Password of the .vmokeystore file

-DexportVersionHistory=<true|false>

Export version history

-Dincludes=<include-pattern-list>

';'-separated list of patterns showing which elements to include.

-Dexcludes=<exclude-pattern-list>

';'-separated list of patterns showing which elements to exclude.

Examples:

Export package com.vmware.test.TestPackage as a package file in the current folder.

java -DserverUrl=username:password@myserver:8281 -jar PackageToolCli.jar fe com.vmware.test.TestPackage

Export package com.vmware.test.TestPackage as directory structure in the current folder.

java -DserverUrl=username:password@myserver:8281 -jar PackageToolCli.jar de com.vmware.test.TestPackage

Import package file com.vmware.test.TestPackage.package to vCO server.

java -DserverUrl=username:password@myserver:8281 -jar PackageToolCli.jar fi com.vmware.test.TestImpex.package

(Note: the next two commands require development certificate in order to be performed)

Build .package file from directory structure.

java -DserverUrl=username:password@myserver:8281 -DkeystoreFileLocation=/path/to/my_cerificate.vmokeystore

-DkeystorePassword=mypassword -jar PackageToolCli.jar fd com.vmware.test.TestPackage

Import package directory structure com.vmware.test.TestPackage to vCO server.

java -DserverUrl=username:password@myserver:8281 -DkeystoreFileLocation=/path/to/my_cerificate.vmokeystore

-DkeystorePassword=mypassword -jar PackageToolCli.jar di com.vmware.test.TestPackage

The last two commands also support the allowedMask, exportVersionHistory and includes/excludes java parameters, which give more control to the content and access attributes of the package.

-DallowedMask=vf

Creates package that can not be editted.

-DexportVersionHistory=true

Preserves the local version history of developed vCO objects between exports and imports.

-Dincludes="**/Test Package/**/*.element_info.xml;**/Test Samples/**/*.element_info.xml;**/testPackage/**/*.element_info.xml"

Includes only objects that have ".element_info.xml" descriptor (which is specific for packages exported as directory trees), from library folders Test Package and Test Samples (for workflows) or testPackage package (for actions).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I think the signing is required and package build will fail if you do not provide keystore location and password.

On your second question - there is no library, but there is a command line tool which does package import/export. It can be found in the same Maven repo, under /com/vmware/o11n/tool/vco-cli-java/

Below is the list of commands it supports + some examples.

On Maven vs Gradle - currently, our tooling is focused around Maven. I'll check if we can also provide a Gradle plug-in.

-----------------------------

vCO Package import/export command line tool

Description:

Command line tool, that provides basic vCO package import and export operations. As source or target it can have either .package file, or directory.

Usage:

java <java-parameters> -jar PackageToolCli.jar <command> <command-parameters>

Commands:

These are the basic commands that tell the tool which operation to perform.

fi - file import

Imports package to vCO from .package file.

fe - file export

Exports vCO package to .package file.

di - directory import

Imports package to vCO from directory tree.

de - directory export

Exports vCO package to directory tree.

fd - file from directory

Creates .package file from directory tree.

Command Parameters:

The direct parameters that pertain to the specific command. Source or destination files or directories.

fi <filename>

<filename> - Name of the .package file to import.

fe <packagename> [<basedir>]

di <basedir>

<basedir> - Directory from which to import.

de <packagename> [<basedir>]

fd <basedir>

<basedir> - Directory from which to build .package file.

Java Parameters:

Additional parameters that may be needed by the system, in order to perform the specific commands.

-DserverUrl=<user:password@serverurl>

URL and login of the vCO server against which the imports or exports will be performed.

-DallowedMask=<vef>

Access attributes of the package.

v - elements can be viewed

e - elements can be edited

f - elements can be forwarded in another package

-DkeystoreFileLocation=<path-to-vmokeystore-file>

Path to the .vmokeystore file that contains the development certificate

-DkeystorePassword=<vmokeystore-password>

Password of the .vmokeystore file

-DexportVersionHistory=<true|false>

Export version history

-Dincludes=<include-pattern-list>

';'-separated list of patterns showing which elements to include.

-Dexcludes=<exclude-pattern-list>

';'-separated list of patterns showing which elements to exclude.

Examples:

Export package com.vmware.test.TestPackage as a package file in the current folder.

java -DserverUrl=username:password@myserver:8281 -jar PackageToolCli.jar fe com.vmware.test.TestPackage

Export package com.vmware.test.TestPackage as directory structure in the current folder.

java -DserverUrl=username:password@myserver:8281 -jar PackageToolCli.jar de com.vmware.test.TestPackage

Import package file com.vmware.test.TestPackage.package to vCO server.

java -DserverUrl=username:password@myserver:8281 -jar PackageToolCli.jar fi com.vmware.test.TestImpex.package

(Note: the next two commands require development certificate in order to be performed)

Build .package file from directory structure.

-DkeystorePassword=mypassword -jar PackageToolCli.jar fd com.vmware.test.TestPackage

Import package directory structure com.vmware.test.TestPackage to vCO server.

-DkeystorePassword=mypassword -jar PackageToolCli.jar di com.vmware.test.TestPackage

The last two commands also support the allowedMask, exportVersionHistory and includes/excludes java parameters, which give more control to the content and access attributes of the package.

-DallowedMask=vf

Creates package that can not be editted.

-DexportVersionHistory=true

Preserves the local version history of developed vCO objects between exports and imports.

-Dincludes="**/Test Package/**/*.element_info.xml;**/Test Samples/**/*.element_info.xml;**/testPackage/**/*.element_info.xml"

Includes only objects that have ".element_info.xml" descriptor (which is specific for packages exported as directory trees), from library folders Test Package and Test Samples (for workflows) or testPackage package (for actions).

0 Kudos
chadmichael
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It seems that the import /export stuff in the maven-o11n-package-plugin requires two way ssl authentication.  Is this true?  And, if so, does the CLI skirt this requirement?

0 Kudos
chadmichael
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The CLI is a great tool!  Thanks.

0 Kudos