VMware Cloud Community
ChrisC6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRO Workflow Generate Report of Deployments

Hi Guys,

I am looking to generate a report that gives me information on how many deployments had been successful between a specific time period.

To be more specific I would like to generate a monthly/yearly report that shows who requested what and when they requested it. So if a user logs into the portal and requests a Windows 10 VDI, I would like the report to show me the User or business group that requested the catalog item and the date it was requested, and if it was successfully requested or not

Is that possible though vRA itself or is there a  vRO workflow that can do something similar to this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
cjoshi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Use a PowerShell wrapper to call the java based cloudclient utility to export the deployment report as JSON. Use Powershell the parse the JSON and re-export as CSV. For pretty printing, open and format the CSV in Excel or Google sheets.

0 Kudos
cjoshi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BTW you can also write a custom vRO workflow to do the same. However  what I mentioned above seems to be the quickest and gets the job done.

0 Kudos
xian_
Expert
Expert

vCACCAFEEntitiesFinder.findCatalogItemRequests(vCACCAFEHost host, String query)

See vRO API Explorer by Dr Ruurd and Flores of ITQ

0 Kudos
KiranMuddaiahHP
Contributor
Contributor

Is this is going to work with vRA 8.0

0 Kudos
RebeccaW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In 8.0 I don't think it will be an option. With 7 I heavily use the SQL database to pull all of that data. Near as I know all of the CAFE items are gone in 8. 

Still working on solutioning this for out new 8.7.0 environment after relying heavily on the SQL database. For deployments in 8 from what I can tell thus far decommissioned deployments are only available from vRA for 90 days after the delete. Machine information looks to be gone immediately and I've not seen within vRA itself how to get that historical data. Event logs only stay for 48 hours. In 7 we used again the SQL DB's Audit Log table to get full history and calculate provisioning times, etc. Just started shipping logs to vRLI but have not yet worked on seeing if the deployment request reporting can be pulled from what vRLI will have.

As we need historical data such as which specific servers were present during a given month and for how many days will likely do vRO or ABX and event subscriptions to populate and maintain a database to replicate part of what we have from version 7 as a backup to records we write to a CMDB. 

Ankush11s
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Let me know if this works i can add more fields which are available in payload .

https://vmwarecode.com/2022/04/10/vra-cloud-on-prem-how-to-export-managed-machine-using-python-in-cs...

0 Kudos
KiranMuddaiahHP
Contributor
Contributor

Getting Python-related error while running on Windows Box, refer to the attachment for details

0 Kudos
Ankush11s
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Conda is separate tool , you do not need this , 
If you follow blog , you just need python in system , we do not need ISE 

0 Kudos