VMware Cloud Community
vijay_sn821
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vRA XaaS Licensing

If we use vRO workflows in vRA as XaaS blueprint to deploy Virtual Machine, does it require VMware vRealize Automation OSI licenses?

Is there any way to find out how many OSI licenses are consumed?, earlier versions of vRA used to show license usage but I don't see it in vRA 7.4.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then XaaS may be just fine by recycling your existing vRO workflows.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To use XaaS you still have to have Advanced licensed. Is there any particular reason you're using XaaS to deploy IaaS? In most cases, that's not a good idea and should be avoided for several reasons.

0 Kudos
vijay_sn821
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Few hosts in our environment are licensed with vRA ent., VMs are deployed on these hosts through standard vRA blueprints.

We use standalone vRO workflows to deploy VMs in rest of the environment and planning to execute these workflows through vRA XaaS to have common portal for VM deployment across different environments. Everything seems to be working as per expectation in POC but we couldn't find any documentation which clearly states if this method will require OSI licenses. 

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I honestly don't know if XaaS managed objects are counted as an OSI. I would suspect not because those objects could be anything. That said, I think to have a consistent experience across all environments, you shouldn't be using XaaS and recycling existing VM deploy workflows but instead develop those as IaaS workflows. The management and day 2 experience otherwise will be different and you will run into a lot of limitations which will increase your management overheard.

0 Kudos
vijay_sn821
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for quick response, we got no plans to manage VMs' life-cycle in vRA after they get deployed through XaaS/vRO.

Life-cycle of these VMs will be managed by standard IT processes (non-automated).

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then XaaS may be just fine by recycling your existing vRO workflows.

0 Kudos