VMware Cloud Community
aqwelea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRA Distributed Installation failed due to JAVA

Hi there,

I'm experiencing the problem described in this post but in my case, I am afraid that there is a "caching" issue.

During the IaaS prerequisite checks I saw an error only on one of my two IaaS nodes regarding JAVA_HOME, it is not detected.

However, Java is installed and the %JAVA_HOME% variable are set in the same way on both of my two IaaS servers.

I decided to go through this error, hoping Java would be correctly detected during the installation step. It failed...

At the IaaS DB cretation step, the script failed because java.exe was not found. Normal as  the script used this path "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_102\bin\bin\java.exe" while JAVA_HOME is set on C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_102\bin

I guess that this is an issue with the vcac management agent...

So just one question, is there any cache that can be purged ? If there is not any, I think I will be forced to reinstall Java (at least...)

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you type "java" at a cmd prompt, that is leveraging the PATH system variable and not JAVA_HOME, and the path there is different (C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath). So for your JAVA_HOME variable, remove the \bin from the end.

EDIT:  For some further corroboration, here's the excerpt from the installation guide.

IaaS Web Server

A Windows server that hosts the Web component must meet additional requirements, in addition to those

for all IaaS Windows servers.

The requirements are the same, whether or not the Web component hosts the Model Manager.

• Configure Java.
    • Install 64-bit Java 1.8 or later. Do not use 32-bit.
    • Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to the Java installation folder.
    • Verify that %JAVA_HOME%\bin\java.exe is available.

So that JAVA_HOME variable needs to exclude the final \bin directory.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you show what's in your JAVA_HOME path? For the vRA install to succeed, the path needs to be something like this.

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_91\

If the last directory doesn't end with the JRE version (not bin) then make that change and try the installer again.

0 Kudos
aqwelea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

First, thanks for reading.

On both on my two IaaS, the command SET returns the value :

IaaS1:

JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_102\bin

=> Detected

IaaS2 :

JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_102\bin

=> Not detected.

If I type "java' in a command prompt, I can see that java.exe is recognized. From a system perspective, everything is running as expected.

Below, the screenshot of my two servers :

pastedImage_0.png

I am a bit frustrated and about to reinstall java in order to check.

I let you know.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you type "java" at a cmd prompt, that is leveraging the PATH system variable and not JAVA_HOME, and the path there is different (C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath). So for your JAVA_HOME variable, remove the \bin from the end.

EDIT:  For some further corroboration, here's the excerpt from the installation guide.

IaaS Web Server

A Windows server that hosts the Web component must meet additional requirements, in addition to those

for all IaaS Windows servers.

The requirements are the same, whether or not the Web component hosts the Model Manager.

• Configure Java.
    • Install 64-bit Java 1.8 or later. Do not use 32-bit.
    • Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to the Java installation folder.
    • Verify that %JAVA_HOME%\bin\java.exe is available.

So that JAVA_HOME variable needs to exclude the final \bin directory.

0 Kudos
aqwelea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I followed your advice and reran the prechecks, this time successfully.

I double checked the prechecks results of my other IaaS server and saw that there was not any verification on JRE.

I should have focused only on the error raised by installer. But I did so, I would not have understand the following :

JRE is only required for the creation of the SQL DB, on the server that hosts the role Model Manager.

Thanks for you help

0 Kudos