VMware Cloud Community
Czernobog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vRA 8.11.2 - custom repositories for python environment in vRO but not ABX, why?

At some point, I want to create my own python classes, package them and upload to our own git repository, from where they could be used in python actions. The feature works fine in vRO: I've added the git repo url, selected the runtime and, in the environment, selected the 'requests' package, which was previously uploaded as a .whl file to the repository. The package gets downloaded from the local repository and its dependencies fro mthe public repository.

I am now looking for a solution to emulate this behaviour in abx. Sadly the abx part of vRA seems to be neglected compared to vRO.

I've uploaded the requests package in version 2.28.2 to my local repo as .whl and .gz, sourced from pypi. After that, I've created a new abx python action and tried to install a module from the local git repo using multiple methods, by filling the Dependency text field with the repository url. Following approaches failed:

result: OSError: Not a gzipped file (b'<!')

result: ERROR: Wheel 'requests' located at /tmp/pip-unpack-ajz0rsjy/requests-2.28.2-py3-none-any.whl is invalid.

result: ERROR: Cannot find command 'git' - do you have 'git' installed and in your PATH?

I assume using git+http as the protocol will fail every time since git is not part of the virtual environment.
I cannot explain the two other error however. 

Is there a way to load custom python modules in abx?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ankush11s
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Currently It is not supported and by default it will take from Pypi only 
for vRO we have released in 8.11.2 , you may ask your TAM or CSM to open feature request for ABX 

Mark this thread as resolved , If solution is provided 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ankush11s
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Currently It is not supported and by default it will take from Pypi only 
for vRO we have released in 8.11.2 , you may ask your TAM or CSM to open feature request for ABX 

0 Kudos
Ankush11s
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you want to use Custom Package , currently you can use bundle along with main file 
https://blogs.vmware.com/management/2020/07/how-to-abx-vro-powershell-additional-modules.html
Custom package repo  via dependency is currently not supported

0 Kudos
Czernobog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for answering. I will take the topic to our TAM.

However, I have to say, I am really disappointed in how features are developed for the ABX part. No local repositories, not being able to use abx actions for user form field validation, 150 actions limit on the local faas provider... I was told back in 2019 that with time this is going to be an alternatvie to vRO, but now, what is the point of using it with all the shortcomings?

0 Kudos