VMware Cloud Community
jdeclerck
Contributor
Contributor

vRA 7 - com.vmware.csp.cafe.notification.api error

Hello,

I'm currently evaluating vRA 7 and I'm encountering some errors while setting up approval notification. I was wondering if anyone else had already the same issue.

My deployment is a minimal deployment, along with an AD to store users and their emails. I'm trying to setup approval workflow (based on cpu and ram) with reply by email approval.

I've setup the approval policy (it works), the email outbound and inbound (pop). I receive notification as a user that my request was submitted but I dont as an approver receive any notification.

In the error tab I got the following error repeated:

Error Message: [nested exception is org.springframework.dao.IncorrectResultSizeDataAccessException: result returns more than one elements; nested exception is javax.persistence.NonUniqueResultException: result returns more than one elements]. Message: [GenericMessage [payload=RichNotification [recipientId=approver@domain.loc,

The approver is a security group.

Any idea ? Thanks in advance,

Joseph de Clerck.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
jdeclerck
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Without answer, I continued to investigate. It seems to be somehow linked to handing pop/imap account to receive approval by email.

anyone else having the same issue?

Regards,

Joseph de Clerck.

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

It looks like you have a group email address in there. Can you try with an individual to see if that resolves the issue?

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
jdeclerck
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Grant,

I've tested the following cases:

1. Single user approval policy, no pop/imap configuration: action needed notification works
  2. group approval policy, no pop/imap configuration: action needed notification works
  3. Single user approval policy, pop configured : action needed notification fails
  4. group approal policy, pop configured : action needed notification fails

So it seems more linked to POP/IMAP configuration than from approval policy.

Thanks,

Joseph

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

Well, if you have inbound/outbound configured then the approval policy will attempt to email the approver. If you don't, then it won't... hence the behaviour that you are seeing.

Grant

0 Kudos
jdeclerck
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The outbound email configuration is always activated (smtp) and is working when no inbound is configured. In fact the requestor is notified (always) but the approver is only notified when inbound is not configured.

On a fresh install, the first time I tried the inbound configuration it worked out of the boxbut subsequent tries failed with the error on the first message.

Joseph.

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

‌In that case, can I ask if the "send from" address has a mailbox? It needs one to check for responses, and thus can't be a group or standalone AD account.

Grant

0 Kudos
HariRajan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you please try the IP address of the SMTP and IMAP server , also check with your AD team and verify IMAP is configured properly.

Whenever you test the IMAP from VRA , does the authentication works fine.

As you said you are using Security Group for Approver notification , does all having IMAP account and does the security group domain is different than the user ?

Thanks & Regards in Plenteous . Hari Rajan
0 Kudos
ThePortLion
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joseph,

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? I'm having the same problem. Action required emails not being sent. All other email functions working. This all worked when first deployed and tested.  Since then "Action required" emails have stopped sending.

Exact same error as you have listed by the way. Thanks.

Rgds,

Padhraic

0 Kudos
MrMcGyver
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I know this has been out there a while. The solution can be found in the following KB:

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2136224

The issue may also be seen in the v7.x release as well. The location of the DB and login information need to be changed for the v7.x releases like this:

For VMware vRealize Automation 7.x,  access database in the location cd /opt/vmware/vpostgres/9.x/bin/  and using the default login ./psql -U postgres-d vcac

0 Kudos
Atif_YNI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did anyone resolve this?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you're having this issue yourself, post your config and describe your scenario and we'll try to help. As stated above, this does work if you're setup in the correct fashion.

0 Kudos
Atif_YNI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am unable to access the DB. Keep getting:

psql.bin: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for host "[local]", user "postgres-d", database "vcac", SSL off

We are running v7.2

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Post screenshots of your email configuration (outbound and inbound).

0 Kudos
Atif_YNI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We were able to resolve this issue by using the great help that was provided on this discussion.

We need the command to get in the DB and the command posted here worked but I had to insert a space between vpostgres and the "-U"

After we removed the last two entries as the KB stated and restarted the service we ran into another issue where the request would get stuck in submitted mode.

We had to reboot both our appliances and now the approval emails are flowing again.

Thank you very much for the help here.

0 Kudos