VMware Cloud Community
5mall5nail5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vRA 7.2 Linux software agent for Ubuntu 16.04?

Hi all - running vRA 7.2 and referred to the compatibility matrix for guest OS and see Ubuntu 16.04 up there but with a * next to it, however, unless I am missing it, I don't see a footer with what the asterisk indicates.  That said, when I run prepare_vra_template.sh I get a message that the version of Ubuntu is incompatible.

Can anyone clarify?  Really need to build a blueprint for Ubuntu 16.04 in my environments!  Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
linuxguru34
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I need this too very urgently. The GuestAgent seems to work fine but the SoftwareAgent is absolutly dead. It doesn't work at all.

I think some mechanism should place a file "/opt/vmware-appdirector/agent/appd.properties" so that the software agent notices this file and starts working. But this mechanism doesn't seem to be working.

Should this event be initiated by the GuestAgent as the next step in the provisioning process?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Are you also using 16.04?

0 Kudos
linuxguru34
Contributor
Contributor

Yes we use 16.04, but the SoftwareAgent is not doing anything. We really need this as we use it to deploy the puppet agent and to do some other pre-puppet configuration

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

According to the latest support matrix document (PDF), Ubuntu 16.04 is not support for either the guest agent or software agent. This is an apparent change (correction or misprint) from the prior version of the same document (PDF) which stated that at least the guest agent portion was supported (still not the software agent). The asterisk indicates the guest agent is supported on that guest while the check mark indicates the software agent is supported.

If you need this for Puppet functionality, you may just want to upgrade to 7.3 since there is native support for Puppet using the newest Puppet plug-in. It doesn't rely on the guest agent at all.

0 Kudos
linuxguru34
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I know this document. I was hoping someone here has a quick fix to get it going again.

We actually are on 7.3

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If you're on 7.3, why not use the integrated Puppet in that case?

0 Kudos
linuxguru34
Contributor
Contributor

ok, how do I do this? Where is the documentation for this? Allthough I doubt it will work for us because we need some variables from the VirtualMachine itself to do autosigning and stuff.

0 Kudos
linuxguru34
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. We only use puppet opensource.

0 Kudos
linuxguru34
Contributor
Contributor

When will support be added to ubuntu 16.04 in combination with the VRA software agent. This really is useless....

0 Kudos