VMware Cloud Community
VirExprt
Expert
Expert

vCAC5.2: Remove VM from vCAC managebility

Hello,

I have a question for the VMs which are provisioned from vCAC portal, can those be somehow removed if there is a requirement change & those are not required to be kept under vCAC manageability?

what are the options available to get this addressed.

thanks in advance

Br,

MG

Regards, MG
Tags (2)
3 Replies
d-fens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can certainly remove the entity from the ManagementModelEntities context. However this might (and most probably will) leave orphaned items in the object model/underlying database. Have a look at the VirtualMachines/VirtualMachinesProperties property tables. You do the actual delete via the DeleteObject() method of the context. See http://d-fens.ch/2013/10/10/investigating-the-vcac-5-2-mgmtcontext/  for more details. Ronald

PS I just had another thought how you could cleanly remove a Machine from vCAC. You could trigger a 'Destroy'/Dispose and abort the actual deletion of resources or temporarily disconnect the connection between vCenter and vCAC. See also the readme in HotFix 5 about the '...DisposeVM' property.

Ronald Rink d-fens GmbH
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I would not recommend deleting the virtual machine object directly from the management context.  This doesn't take into account things like unallocating static ip addresses and other neat stuff.

There was a HF as ronald said that adds an "Unregister" command, which will simply remove machine from management.

There is another strange thing that ronald might be interested which would be to add an entity to the ChangeStateRequests entity with the VirtualMachineID, and state of "Finalized" which will put the machine through the "unregister" process but fire it through the API rather than a direct delete which could miss some cascading.

d-fens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That sounds really interesting to insert a CSR with 'finalized'. I actually had recently a SR where I asked about that in relation to a PXE deployment. But there GSS recommended against it (but it was a slightly different case). But I will try that. Thanks! Ronald

Ronald Rink d-fens GmbH
0 Kudos