VMware Cloud Community
denebeim
Contributor
Contributor

vCAC installation failure when I try to add a vsphere newbie

I've been attempting to get a vCloud up.  As far as I can tell I've got everything working.  I'm at the point where I'm actually trying to add some resources into the system.  We have one vCenter with one ESX hypervisor on it.  I was attempting to add that to the vCAC. 

I created credentials, one for the local login that is working for on the vsphere.  The other is an administrator account that's used everywhere else.

When I create an endpoint on the vCAC to the vSphere using the vSphere credentials it saves, but nothing else happens.  I assume the machines are supposed to populate with the VMs I have on that server?  I haven't seen anything that would let me add virtual machines manually.

I'm getting several logs:

This exception was caught: The attached endpoint 'vcac.win.jfrog.local' cannot be found.

Retrieving Work from VRM : The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized

vcac.win.jfrog.local is where the vcac software is running. 

The VMs are the SuSE OVF VMs

vCAC-Appliance-6.0.1.0-1569764_OVF10.ova

Identity-Appliance-2.0.1.0-1545089_OVF10.ova

I realize this is a bit confused.  I'm obviously missing something simple, but I really don't know where to start digging into this.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlokShrivastwa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

401 is a standard error for wrong credentials. Have you checked if the credentials you used worked. (You may have mistyped it when adding it to the Agent). Also log on to the server where the Vcac vCentre Agent is installed and look under the logs of the agent. It will give you more info.

0 Kudos
denebeim
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.  I understand that its complaining about the wrong credentials, what I'm not clear on is which credentials, and which service are they being presented to.

The logs are sourced at VRM agent, the instance name is vsphere-IAAS and the username is IAAS\Administrator (the machine is IAAS).  The endpoint I've specified is the vsphere server.  The credential is the root one since its the only one I've got working on the vsphere server.  I don't have the server in the domain, , nor any users define which is a problem for another day.

So, basically I'm unclear on which credentials I should be entering in the endpoint, and which machine's hostname should be in the entry.  The fact that it's the VRM agent that's complaining makes me think I'm missing something.

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The credential for the endpoint should be an administrative credential for the vCenter Server, not the ESXi host.

-Steve
denebeim
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried the local vcenter credentials.  Those won't work on the IAAS which is wanting active directory credentials.  I've not had any luck with getting vcenter to accept credentials from active directory.  Again, newbie, I must be missing something here.  How do you get vcenter to use the active directory credentials?  I've been poking around in google and the vmware documents, but haven't had any luck with the answer to that.

0 Kudos
stvkpln
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No, the credential for the endpoint does not have to be Active Directory... in fact, I use an account that is in SSO.. You can use any account you want, as long as it's valid and has permissions through the vCenter inventory.

-Steve
0 Kudos