VMware Cloud Community
CKloseFUM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCAC 6 enable Notifications by default for users

By default notification by email are disabled for the user so the user didn't receive any information about a request or a lease end of his service.

Can this be enabled by default for every user? Don't want to give new users a documentation on how they first have to configure their environment to work properly

user_preferences_mail.PNG

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CKloseFUM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ArrayaBrill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same concern.  Have you found a good way to implement this by default?

0 Kudos
CKloseFUM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The @vCACTeam helped me with that : please see https://twitter.com/christianklose/status/457093033281216512

0 Kudos
Czernobog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi, I somehow cannot figure out where the modification is to be done. Must this entries be done on the applaince or in the web gui?

0 Kudos
bugblatterbeast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Login to the vCAC appliance (https://<vcac appliance FQDN/shell-ui-app/) as your user, click on Preferences in the top right hand corner to set per user.

VCP4/5, VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCA4/5, VCAP-CIA, AWS-CSA, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA
0 Kudos
Czernobog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The point is to enable the notifications by default, not every single time per user. I just need to know where to insert the new rows OP posted.

0 Kudos
bugblatterbeast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, so as far as i can see this is the postgres DB on the vCAC appliance.  I was able to do the following:-

1. ssh to vCAC appliance
  2. sudo -u postgres /opt/vmware/vpostgres/9.2/bin/psql postgres - to connect to the DB
  3. \l - to list the DBs (assumed that "vcac" is the one you need to edit)
  4. \dt - to list the tables and sure enough the following tables are available:-Capture1.JPG
  5. Now you can edit the tables!

Now this is where i get stuck as i have no idea what to do next Smiley Happy.  If you work out what to do it would be good to post what you did so others can use it.

Danny

VCP4/5, VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCA4/5, VCAP-CIA, AWS-CSA, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA
Czernobog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks! In the next step you can see the output of both tables:

pastedImage_2.png

In this example I have disabled notifications for one user - the change is being reflected in the row value change.

In usernotificationpreference the first column represents the usernames in upn format, the second - I don't know.

In usernotificationpreference_notificationdeliverymechanisms the first column represents the usernames again, the second one indicates if the notifications are enabled. I guess you have to insert each username there and tag it with a "t" to enable notifications. Maybe someone with more insight could explain what the "version" column values in the first table stand for. Also if it is possible to send notifications to a user, that has no role assigned in vCAC (the user account being available thorugh the identity stored tied to vcac though), but still should recieve status change for approvals and requests (for example a service account which has a functional mailbox tied to it, which AD group members can access, but don't use this service account to approve requests or similar).

CKloseFUM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As you can't enable this by default for every user i decided to run it scheduled ever night.

For easy scheduling this task i created a Workflow in vCO which makes use of the existing "Execute a custom query on a database"

usernotification1.jpg

Important are the parameters database and query which i created as attributes to my own workflow.

sqlString is the query for the "Execute a custom query on a database" and is a simple update on field enabled in table usernotificationpreference_notificationdeliverymechanisms

update usernotificationpreference_notificationdeliverymechanisms SET enabled=true

database is the connection to the vCAC local Postgres DB which you can configure in the vCO SQL PlugIn.

usernotification.jpg

Now you can schedule it in vCO to run every night.

0 Kudos