VMware Cloud Community
rickmagoon
Contributor
Contributor

vCAC 6.0 PostgreSQL interoperability

I would like to cluster the vCAC 6.0 appliance with PostgreSQL but cannot find anything listed on the Solution/Database Interoperability matrix of the PostgreSQL versions that are supported.  The only databases listed are various Microsoft SQL versions.  I suspect it's in relation to the IaaS Windows installation but has left out considering the virtual appliance SQL database Interoperability.  There is nothing in the documentation that specifically identifies PostreSQL versions for clustered vCAC virtual appliance configurations.  I am hoping that vPostgreSQL is not requred (additional license).  The mystery is why other PostgreSQL versions are not even available on the pull-down, and only the vPostgreSQL versions are listed.  I am confused and any insight would be helpful.  Ideally, I would like to install a clustered Windows PostgreSQL solution.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I believe the version of PostgreSQL is 9.2.1 . There is no interoperability matrix because the product supports and it is tested only against this vPostgreSQL version and specific configuration (a few additional modules are needed to the default postgresql installation). There is no reason to believe that it will not work against windows installed PostgreSQL 9.2.1 but it is not tested in such configuration and this setup is won't be supported.

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
0 Kudos
rickmagoon
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to assume that the vCAC appliance is running vPostgres 9.2.1 since it's the only version tested against.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  Moving forward with that assumption, I configured another vCAC appliance running just the vPostgres database and configured an external connection with no problems as of yet.  I would like to add another vCAC appliance and cluster the two vPostgres databases.  My logic tells me this should be a supported configuration because it's the same exact version that vCAC would be using internally.  Please let me know if I'm thinking incorrectly.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
igorstoyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, this setup should be ok. It is probably supported but you may verify this within the proper VMware channels. It could be valuable for the community if you post the steps and the exact configurations of how did you approach the postgres clustering once you make it work. Thanks.

Visit http://blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator for the latest in Cloud Orchestration.
0 Kudos